How can I fix a sharepoint excel file that opens in gibberish to normal text?

Anonymous
2023-01-17T12:59:35+00:00

We are using shared reports from a sharepoint having the convenience of accessing these reports via browser. But a few days ago, certain users are having problems with these reports, because when they access them, they see gibberish rather than normal text. This does not happen when its opened on the desktop app, only when its opened on the browser.

How can I fix this?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-02-01T15:38:37+00:00

    Will do.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-02-02T12:24:32+00:00

    We have 2 users experiencing exactly this problem. Has there been a fix implemented yet?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-02-02T12:42:11+00:00

    The related team is working on it. If you want to know more details on it,

    Contact Us - Microsoft Support Open a service request in the Microsoft 365 admin center.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-02-02T13:57:11+00:00

    Thank so much for your reply. Please do notify me when you do have a fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-02-03T17:43:26+00:00

    Hi Daniel,

    Greetings! Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community.

    Have you tried change the text format to another one? It should be correct the display of it.

    Most of this issue could be caused by encoding, but in cells it show correct value. So it should be text format settings on your workbook.

    Image

    Best Regards,

    Snow Lu

    Hi all,

    I had the same issue but ONLY with Arial font. All other fonts seemed to show the correct values in the cells. I closed the online version, opened the original in the Excel app, did select all and changed to another font (I chose Calibri 10 instead of Arial 8). After saving the original in the app, the online version opened fine. I know this is not a great workaround for everybody but it will work in a pinch.

    Thanks!

    Di

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments