How can I fix a sharepoint excel file that opens in gibberish to normal text?

Anonymous
2023-01-17T12:59:35+00:00

We are using shared reports from a sharepoint having the convenience of accessing these reports via browser. But a few days ago, certain users are having problems with these reports, because when they access them, they see gibberish rather than normal text. This does not happen when its opened on the desktop app, only when its opened on the browser.

How can I fix this?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-02-05T15:50:55+00:00

    I have this happening on multiple files. I need an immediate fix. the suggestions have not worked and in some cases made it worse.

    I cannot open it in the Desk Top app due to it being collaborative work

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-02-03T19:20:27+00:00

    Is there an update on this? I have a report from a user as well that they're also experiencing this. It is odd that it isn't organization wide.

    It may depend on who in your organization did the update with the "service related" cause. Others may not have had the update as of yet.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-02-03T17:50:41+00:00

    Thank you for sharing workaround.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-02-03T17:43:26+00:00

    Hi Daniel,

    Greetings! Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community.

    Have you tried change the text format to another one? It should be correct the display of it.

    Most of this issue could be caused by encoding, but in cells it show correct value. So it should be text format settings on your workbook.

    Image

    Best Regards,

    Snow Lu

    Hi all,

    I had the same issue but ONLY with Arial font. All other fonts seemed to show the correct values in the cells. I closed the online version, opened the original in the Excel app, did select all and changed to another font (I chose Calibri 10 instead of Arial 8). After saving the original in the app, the online version opened fine. I know this is not a great workaround for everybody but it will work in a pinch.

    Thanks!

    Di

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-02-02T13:57:11+00:00

    Thank so much for your reply. Please do notify me when you do have a fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments