Random people showing up in Track Changes??

Anonymous
2023-02-05T00:30:48+00:00

I am doing revisions on a novel and random people are now showing up in the track changes. I have not shared this document with anyone, but it is stored in my OneDrive. How did these people's names get in my document? They are coming up as reviewers and their names are attached to changes I've made.

This is incredibly concerning and a HUGE privacy violation. Has anyone else seen this??

For what it is worth, I've googled these people and I have NO connection to them at all. But one thing I did notice is that LinkedIn profiles appear for all of them near the top of the Google results. One of them is the CMO of Whole Foods?? I, personally, do not have a LinkedIn profile nor have I ever.

Microsoft Word for Mac v16.69.1

macOS 13.2

EDIT: I updated the screenshot to remove content of document.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | Other | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Jim G 134.1K Reputation points MVP
    2023-02-09T16:40:56+00:00

    Hi

    Please follow the instructions listed earlier and report the problem. It's important for multiple reports to be submitted, else Microsoft may conclude only one Mac is affected.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-02-09T14:04:13+00:00

    I had this EXACT same problem happen to me yesterday. It was very disturbing at first, until the names started changing randomly each time I re-opened the document - that's when I figured it must be a bug.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Diane Poremsky MVP 17,541 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2023-02-08T16:13:57+00:00

    Thanks. We'll find out. It usually is enough and will have all the information they need.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-02-08T15:09:06+00:00

    [pii shared with support] Hopefully that gives them what they need.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Diane Poremsky MVP 17,541 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2023-02-08T14:59:32+00:00

    My contact asked for either a repro document or the device ID- device ID can be found in the Menu bar under Word -> About Microsoft Word -> Device ID.

    Report it using Help > contact support - and if you get a case #, I will pass that along so they can look at it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments