Random people showing up in Track Changes??

Anonymous
2023-02-05T00:30:48+00:00

I am doing revisions on a novel and random people are now showing up in the track changes. I have not shared this document with anyone, but it is stored in my OneDrive. How did these people's names get in my document? They are coming up as reviewers and their names are attached to changes I've made.

This is incredibly concerning and a HUGE privacy violation. Has anyone else seen this??

For what it is worth, I've googled these people and I have NO connection to them at all. But one thing I did notice is that LinkedIn profiles appear for all of them near the top of the Google results. One of them is the CMO of Whole Foods?? I, personally, do not have a LinkedIn profile nor have I ever.

Microsoft Word for Mac v16.69.1

macOS 13.2

EDIT: I updated the screenshot to remove content of document.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | Other | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-04-18T10:25:55+00:00

    Thank you for the update. I have relayed this answer as well.

    There was no detailed explanation on how this could happen or where these names came from? I see that LinkedIn has been mentioned, but have we gotten confirmation that the names have been mixed in from LinkedIn or some other service?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-04-18T01:49:13+00:00

    Thanks for the update..... Great to see this has been sorted

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-03-20T09:47:32+00:00

    Hi,

    We have multiple cases on this but no reply or statement explaining the root cause of this issue. Have you gotten a reply from Microsoft on your side?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-03-03T13:54:54+00:00

    I posted this a month ago and despite posting feedback in the app requesting someone get in touch with me, I have received nothing from Microsoft. This is appalling and by no means a casual bug. Has anyone heard ANYTHING from Microsoft about this?

    One of my files is being looked at by Microsoft support. There have been emails exchanged and they've asked for some detail but no feedback on what may be causing this yet.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-03-03T13:52:59+00:00

    I opened a ticket with them. They confirmed the bug is being worked but wouldn't give me a bug id or commit to when it will be fixed. Said it's in multiple versions of Office and will be repaired in a future version. Best they'd do was commit to notifying me when it's been fixed.

    Odd that they wouldn't give me a bug ID. I think they don't want to fully publicly acknowledge this for some reason.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments