I am trying to delete a OneNote Notebook. I cannot seem to achieve it.

Anonymous
2023-03-27T13:35:35+00:00

I have OneNote for Windows 10. Over the course of its life it is getting filled with Notebooks that I do not require. How can I delete them?

I am told: "To delete a OneNote notebook, do the following: Go to your OneDrive account and navigate to the notebook that you want to delete (it's likely stored in Files > Documents). Right-click the name of the notebook, and then select Delete."

This doesn't work because OneDrive is empty.

Alternatively I am told: "In File Explorer, navigate to your Documents (or My Documents) folder, and then double-click OneNote Notebooks."

This doesn't work because the OneNote folder in my Documents is empty.

I am out of options.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-09-12T18:25:52+00:00

    Right click:

    Microsoft nonsense: doesn't work on Home, only on My Files. (I think they changed this recently, not sure).

    Recent list:

    Only in OneNote from Office, not in OneNote for Windows 10 you seem to use.

    Bernd

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-10-02T19:21:27+00:00

    Hi, we have the same problem. It is possible to close the notebook but when locating the same notebook (empty), right clicking does not lead to any options at all including delete. It is impossible to delete old unwanted notebooks (or perhaps their internet shortcuts?). Please can someone give clear step by step instructions that work. Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-10-17T06:55:47+00:00

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-10-31T01:00:26+00:00

    Same issue. I deleted the unwanted notebooks from EVERY single place I could find them AND deleted all of my recycle and trash bins. On my desktop, OneDrive on my desktop, OneDrive/sharepoint, OneNote Online. I finally found one more delete button after reading through all the posts and opening OneNote through office online and clicking on recent. After choosing recent, I right clicked on the file and low and behold a "Delete" button with a "New" icon next to it. I click on that... and a pop up asks if I'm sure...yes!...another pop up. "Can't delete this item. This item doesn’t exist. It may have already been deleted." You gotta be kidding me. I know I deleted the item, but it is still there!!!! It did have a hide button also, so I'm just gonna try that and see if it will go away from all the places I keep finding them.

    This all really started when I tried to use OneNote on my iPad. I'm a windows laptop user, but want to take notes on my iPad and it's been a nightmare learning how to upload and sync the correct notebooks, because I apparently just kept making copies and nothing would sync properly. I gave up a year ago. Trying again, but first want to delete all the junk ones I can find on my PC. I love the app, but this is ridiculous.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-11-01T12:43:39+00:00

    In case it helps, what worked for me using office 365 (an institutional university account) was the following:

    • this would now show me only the OneNote notebooks, but 'Delete' is not among the options one gets once clicking on the three dots, as shown here

    • Click on 'Open Location'
    • You should get a new tab where the actual OneDrive app has opened (within your sharedrive). There, if you hover on the left next to the notebook's name, you should get a circle that you can activate by clicking on it. Click on the three dots, and now you should see 'Delete' among your options.

    Hope this is of help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments