I am trying to delete a OneNote Notebook. I cannot seem to achieve it.

Anonymous
2023-03-27T13:35:35+00:00

I have OneNote for Windows 10. Over the course of its life it is getting filled with Notebooks that I do not require. How can I delete them?

I am told: "To delete a OneNote notebook, do the following: Go to your OneDrive account and navigate to the notebook that you want to delete (it's likely stored in Files > Documents). Right-click the name of the notebook, and then select Delete."

This doesn't work because OneDrive is empty.

Alternatively I am told: "In File Explorer, navigate to your Documents (or My Documents) folder, and then double-click OneNote Notebooks."

This doesn't work because the OneNote folder in my Documents is empty.

I am out of options.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-09-10T23:37:50+00:00
    1. In the upper-left corner of the page, select the App launcher button  App Launcher and select  OD Desktop OneDrive cloud Icon  OneDrive.
    2. Navigate to the notebook you want to delete. It's probably under Home> Recent, or My Files > Notebooks. You can also type the name of the notebook in the search box at the top.

    This finally worked but most recent files cannot be deleted from the list you have to search for it in this interface then delete it. Should not be so difficult??!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-09-10T23:29:18+00:00

    There is never the option to delete these files. It does not give you that option even after closing the notebook. As with others there are no notebook files found in the default backup folders either. Where are these files and like others why is this not simple enough to do??!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-08-16T17:12:51+00:00

    Go the My Content page. Click the 9 dots are the top right, click "See all my content" https://www.microsoft365.com/mycontent?auth=2&home=1&section=recentdocs
    If
     it's in the recently opened, you can find it easily; otherwise, you can search the name.

    Hover over notebook, click the ... and click Delete.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-07-29T16:01:32+00:00

    I think I found a solution.

    1. In OneNote, navigate to your list of notebooks. Right click on the one you want to remove and 'close' it.
    2. Browse into the 'More Notebooks' area, then right click on the notebook you want to delete and select 'Open File Location'

    Here's the weird thing, it looks like notebooks are actually stored as hidden folders that can only be viewed while trying to open them through this interface.

    1. Locate the 'folder' for the notebook you are trying to delete, select it and hit delete, a message box will pop asking if you want to permanently delete...
    2. Cancel out of the Open Notebook window.
    3. You will still need to remove the name of the notebook from any recent notebooks list but it should be gone.

    Give it a go...

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-07-22T11:02:34+00:00

    If using OneDrive, OneNote shortcuts cannot be permanently deleted using File Explorer. Instead, after closing the notebook in OneNote, delete the shortcut via OneDrive Online.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments