I am trying to delete a OneNote Notebook. I cannot seem to achieve it.

Anonymous
2023-03-27T13:35:35+00:00

I have OneNote for Windows 10. Over the course of its life it is getting filled with Notebooks that I do not require. How can I delete them?

I am told: "To delete a OneNote notebook, do the following: Go to your OneDrive account and navigate to the notebook that you want to delete (it's likely stored in Files > Documents). Right-click the name of the notebook, and then select Delete."

This doesn't work because OneDrive is empty.

Alternatively I am told: "In File Explorer, navigate to your Documents (or My Documents) folder, and then double-click OneNote Notebooks."

This doesn't work because the OneNote folder in my Documents is empty.

I am out of options.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-05-31T19:16:42+00:00

    It worked for me as well! Thank you Bernd!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-05-04T16:23:41+00:00

    Correct. Taiwo's reply is wrong. You cannot delete a notebook from within OneNote, only where it is stored (OneDrive or SharePoint).

    Bernd

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-05-04T04:25:36+00:00

    how can i right click on the notebook again when i close it (it disappears)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-04-15T21:15:39+00:00

    Yes, these recent explanations assume that OneDrive is the default storage location. 

    This makes sense because the described problem only exists with notebooks on OneDrive......

    Bernd

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-04-15T18:19:14+00:00

    The problem is that it may have worked on your computer, but not on most other people's PCs. OneNote spans many different versions of Windows, and doesn't work fully with most of them. For example, my Notebooks are not stored in OneDrive, yet these recent explanations assume that OneDrive is the default storage location. Or that MyDocuments may show up as the default storage location, etc. In my case, and in the case of many other people, this obviously isn't the case, otherwise there wouldn't be so many malcontents. We're not entirely dissatisfied with OneNote, which is a great program, we're just unhappy that it doesn't work properly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments