I am trying to delete a OneNote Notebook. I cannot seem to achieve it.

Anonymous
2023-03-27T13:35:35+00:00

I have OneNote for Windows 10. Over the course of its life it is getting filled with Notebooks that I do not require. How can I delete them?

I am told: "To delete a OneNote notebook, do the following: Go to your OneDrive account and navigate to the notebook that you want to delete (it's likely stored in Files > Documents). Right-click the name of the notebook, and then select Delete."

This doesn't work because OneDrive is empty.

Alternatively I am told: "In File Explorer, navigate to your Documents (or My Documents) folder, and then double-click OneNote Notebooks."

This doesn't work because the OneNote folder in my Documents is empty.

I am out of options.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-09-12T16:51:02+00:00

    Thank you for your effort, which in my case fails!

    I have very few notebooks on https://onedrive.live.com and they cannot be deleted by right click. Right click produces Open | Share - and that's it. No delete.

    I don't seem to have a "Recent" list in OneNote

    So neither your 1) or 2) work for me. There seem to be lots of versions of Microsoft OneNote, perhaps that's it - my version does not correspond with yours.

    What I do have, is something called "More Notebooks" which has Notebooks which I don't use. What's tempting about them is that hovering over them produces "Notebook location...". Some people believe that if you can find the location, you can delete the Notebook. But in this case, Microsoft refuses to open the location. So that's no good.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-09-12T15:24:40+00:00

    Existing notebooks on https://onedrive.live.com can be deleted by right click.

    No more existing (ghost-) notebooks (my #2) can mostly be deleted from the Recent list in OneNote by right click + Remove from List.

    Bernd

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-09-10T23:37:50+00:00
    1. In the upper-left corner of the page, select the App launcher button  App Launcher and select  OD Desktop OneDrive cloud Icon  OneDrive.
    2. Navigate to the notebook you want to delete. It's probably under Home> Recent, or My Files > Notebooks. You can also type the name of the notebook in the search box at the top.

    This finally worked but most recent files cannot be deleted from the list you have to search for it in this interface then delete it. Should not be so difficult??!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-06-04T18:56:00+00:00

    As I said: too much confusion.

    This thread contains two different problems:

    1. How to delete a notebook

    Taiwo's answer #3 is just wrong. You cannot delete a notebook in OneNote. You only can delete a notebook where it is stored.

    Usually on OneDrive. Then you have to go to https://onedrive.live.com and delete it there.

    1. A notebook is closed and no more on OneDrive but appears in some notebook lists in OneNote, especially in Recent in OneNote or More Notebooks in OneNote for Windows 10. These notebooks are the so called Ghost notebooks.

    What is your problem ? 1 or 2 ?

    Bernd

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-06-04T17:07:22+00:00

    There is too much confusion in those earlier replies.

    So what is exactly your "same issue" ?

    What are the facts, what did you try ?

    Bernd

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments