I am trying to delete a OneNote Notebook. I cannot seem to achieve it.

Anonymous
2023-03-27T13:35:35+00:00

I have OneNote for Windows 10. Over the course of its life it is getting filled with Notebooks that I do not require. How can I delete them?

I am told: "To delete a OneNote notebook, do the following: Go to your OneDrive account and navigate to the notebook that you want to delete (it's likely stored in Files > Documents). Right-click the name of the notebook, and then select Delete."

This doesn't work because OneDrive is empty.

Alternatively I am told: "In File Explorer, navigate to your Documents (or My Documents) folder, and then double-click OneNote Notebooks."

This doesn't work because the OneNote folder in my Documents is empty.

I am out of options.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-04-22T03:43:08+00:00

    This Works! Thanks Bernd!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-04-21T23:02:53+00:00

    Thank you!! After wasting 45+ minutes trying to either rename or delete a notebook, THIS worked. Microsoft, man, you need to get your sh!7 together; a simple function should indeed be simple, not this convoluted. I was seriously tempted to delete the app and find a different note-taking app - the time it takes to perform basic functions renders the app inefficient. Jury’s still out for now….

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-04-16T17:47:55+00:00

    My issue is #2.

    The notebook appears under File > Open > Recent > Notebooks under a 'Pinned' Label.
    Clicking the Unpin icon removes the notebook from the list momentarily and then replaces it.
    Right click > Remove from list does the same.

    Right click > Open file location takes me to https://d.docs.live.net/95aa165fbc552b27/%5e.Documents/Camping ('camping' is the name of notebook in this case) - which it then tells me doesn't exist in onedrive's web portal.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-10-02T19:21:27+00:00

    Hi, we have the same problem. It is possible to close the notebook but when locating the same notebook (empty), right clicking does not lead to any options at all including delete. It is impossible to delete old unwanted notebooks (or perhaps their internet shortcuts?). Please can someone give clear step by step instructions that work. Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-05T20:36:20+00:00

    Look into Recently opened. Maybe it works there too.

    Bernd

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments