I am trying to delete a OneNote Notebook. I cannot seem to achieve it.

Anonymous
2023-03-27T13:35:35+00:00

I have OneNote for Windows 10. Over the course of its life it is getting filled with Notebooks that I do not require. How can I delete them?

I am told: "To delete a OneNote notebook, do the following: Go to your OneDrive account and navigate to the notebook that you want to delete (it's likely stored in Files > Documents). Right-click the name of the notebook, and then select Delete."

This doesn't work because OneDrive is empty.

Alternatively I am told: "In File Explorer, navigate to your Documents (or My Documents) folder, and then double-click OneNote Notebooks."

This doesn't work because the OneNote folder in my Documents is empty.

I am out of options.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-11-13T10:53:54+00:00

    This is the actual answer, thank youi!

    if you delete the file via windows explorer it re-appears in a moment.

    if you close the workbook it disappears out of onenote except from the "recent" list

    there is a "Notebook recycle bin" context menu option within OneNote when you right-click the notebook, but it's always disabled for me.

    i think if a software company set out to make it as difficult as possible to delete a notebook, they probably couldn't do as impressive a job as this 🤦‍♂️

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-11-01T15:26:53+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-11-01T12:43:39+00:00

    In case it helps, what worked for me using office 365 (an institutional university account) was the following:

    • this would now show me only the OneNote notebooks, but 'Delete' is not among the options one gets once clicking on the three dots, as shown here

    • Click on 'Open Location'
    • You should get a new tab where the actual OneDrive app has opened (within your sharedrive). There, if you hover on the left next to the notebook's name, you should get a circle that you can activate by clicking on it. Click on the three dots, and now you should see 'Delete' among your options.

    Hope this is of help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-09-12T10:36:36+00:00

    Like Paul Singleton, I am replying to myself, with a run-down of whay none of these answers work, and a plea to Microsoft to get its act together.

    Bernd P.

    “You only can delete a notebook where it is stored.   Usually on OneDrive. Then you have to go to https://onedrive.live.com and delete it there.”

    Problem:  very few of my notebooks are on One Drive.  And I don’t see any “Delete” function there, anyway.

    Possibly his problem 2 is relevant, but he doesn’t present an answer to the problem.

    Niels Torp Steffensen

    Same issue

    Dan Nesthus

    1. “In OneNote, navigate to your list of notebooks. Right click on the one you want to remove and 'close' it.

    “Close it” is frequently not an option

    1. Browse into the 'More Notebooks' area, then right click on the notebook you want to delete and select 'Open File Location'”

    When I tried this, I got this answer from Microsoft:  “Sorry we couldn’t open the Notebook that you were looking for”

    So that makes Dan's answer 3 inoperative, and therefore 4 and 5 also

    Notebook User

    “Go the My Content page. Click the 9 dots are the top right, click "See all my content””

    Alas, I do not have a “My Content” page

    Paul Singleton1

    “There is never the option to delete these files. It does not give you that option even after closing the notebook. As with others there are no notebook files found in the default backup folders either. Where are these files and like others why is this not simple enough to do??!!  “

    This seems to correspond to my experience, but….

    Paul Singleton

    “In the upper-left corner of the page, select the   App Launcher and select    OneDrive.”

    I don’t have this App Launcher on the upper-left corner of the page.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-02-26T22:57:40+00:00

    Hello,

    I am trying to delete these notebooks on OneNote website. When I click on the Notebook, I am sent to OneDrive where ONLY the one notebook I want to keep is saved....How can I keep the ONE Notebook on OneDrive and delete all the others on One Notebook website?

    I tried to upload image, but was unsuccessful.

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jvwODiatqLQoFcymxCW3pJ91M2vIl-jH/view?usp=sharing

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/15UKxryyQfQyxsc6EfDfxKDXu4LBU_fW0/view?usp=sharing

    Thanks,

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments