I am trying to delete a OneNote Notebook. I cannot seem to achieve it.

Anonymous
2023-03-27T13:35:35+00:00

I have OneNote for Windows 10. Over the course of its life it is getting filled with Notebooks that I do not require. How can I delete them?

I am told: "To delete a OneNote notebook, do the following: Go to your OneDrive account and navigate to the notebook that you want to delete (it's likely stored in Files > Documents). Right-click the name of the notebook, and then select Delete."

This doesn't work because OneDrive is empty.

Alternatively I am told: "In File Explorer, navigate to your Documents (or My Documents) folder, and then double-click OneNote Notebooks."

This doesn't work because the OneNote folder in my Documents is empty.

I am out of options.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-05T04:01:00+00:00

    I have this same issue and while this solution works great for the desktop app, the old ghost notebooks still appear in my files under My Content in MS 365. Did anyone else figure out how to resolve this for MS 365?

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-11-01T14:45:30+00:00

    In one drive I pull up the list of notebooks, right click and the only options are "open" and "share".

    Why would they program it this way, we created the folder in one note, we should be able to permanently delete in one note.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-08-16T17:12:51+00:00

    Go the My Content page. Click the 9 dots are the top right, click "See all my content" https://www.microsoft365.com/mycontent?auth=2&home=1&section=recentdocs
    If
     it's in the recently opened, you can find it easily; otherwise, you can search the name.

    Hover over notebook, click the ... and click Delete.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-09-10T23:29:18+00:00

    There is never the option to delete these files. It does not give you that option even after closing the notebook. As with others there are no notebook files found in the default backup folders either. Where are these files and like others why is this not simple enough to do??!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-03-27T09:49:41+00:00

    Thank you so much for your reply, and apologies that it has taken me so long to revert to you. Unfortunately I failed on instruction 3 - in my OneNote for Windows 10, I cannot find a context menu

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments