Visio Freezes & Crashes when Scrolling or Zooming

Anonymous
2023-05-03T06:25:47+00:00

Hi,

Over the past few weeks I have noticed that Visio seems to freeze and sometimes crash when zooming in/out or scrolling up or down.

I run visio on 2 PC. A windows 11 PC with the specs below, and a windows 10 PC, which has lower specs but doesn’t seem to have the same issues.

The details of my Windows 11 PC are:

Microsoft® Visio® Plan 2 MSO (Version 2304 Build 16.0.16327.20200) 64-bit

Windows 11 Pro 22H2

Processor - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2235 CPU @ 3.80GHz   3.79 GHz

RAM - 32.0 GB

GPU - Nvidia Quadro P2200

So far I have tried the following

  • Run an online repair for Office/Visio on my Windows 11 PC and no change. Still freezes/crashes.
  • Opened the file on my Windows 11 PC running in safe mode. The file seems to work fine. Couldn’t make it freeze or crash.
  • Opened the file on a Windows 10 PC running the same version of Visio, and it works fine (so it’s not the file).
  • Creating a New Blank drawing on my Windows 11 PC seems fine.
  • Creating a New drawing based on my work templates on my Windows 10 PC seems fine.
  • Creating a New drawing based on my work templates on my Windows 11 PC has same freezing/crashing issues.

I have noticed that the slower I zoom and scroll (eg wait a second or two between mouse zoom/scroll), the less it freezes and crashes.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Visio | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-05-09T01:32:04+00:00

    Hello, we found this other thread that explains it. Note that you are rolling back office as a whole, not just visio. Here is a link to the other thread explaining how to roll back. Good luck!

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/topic/how-to-revert-to-an-earlier-version-of-office-2bd5c457-a917-d57e-35a1-f709e3dda841

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-05-09T01:39:13+00:00

    Funny, I found that link and got it working 5mins before you replied... Thanks anyway.

    For anyone else interested I usedthe following Version in my config.xml

    <Configuration>

    <Updates Enabled="TRUE" TargetVersion="16.0.16130.20306" />

    </Configuration>

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-05-09T13:44:09+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-05-10T06:10:03+00:00

    Good day Beau,

    not sure if you can help but i have followed the instrucitons to a T 3 times in that link but it never rolls me back to 16.0.16130.20306 but rather always to the current version. any idea why that is?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-05-10T06:16:56+00:00

    I did need to reboot on windows 11 pc before i saw the updated version.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments