Visio Freezes & Crashes when Scrolling or Zooming

Anonymous
2023-05-03T06:25:47+00:00

Hi,

Over the past few weeks I have noticed that Visio seems to freeze and sometimes crash when zooming in/out or scrolling up or down.

I run visio on 2 PC. A windows 11 PC with the specs below, and a windows 10 PC, which has lower specs but doesn’t seem to have the same issues.

The details of my Windows 11 PC are:

Microsoft® Visio® Plan 2 MSO (Version 2304 Build 16.0.16327.20200) 64-bit

Windows 11 Pro 22H2

Processor - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2235 CPU @ 3.80GHz   3.79 GHz

RAM - 32.0 GB

GPU - Nvidia Quadro P2200

So far I have tried the following

  • Run an online repair for Office/Visio on my Windows 11 PC and no change. Still freezes/crashes.
  • Opened the file on my Windows 11 PC running in safe mode. The file seems to work fine. Couldn’t make it freeze or crash.
  • Opened the file on a Windows 10 PC running the same version of Visio, and it works fine (so it’s not the file).
  • Creating a New Blank drawing on my Windows 11 PC seems fine.
  • Creating a New drawing based on my work templates on my Windows 10 PC seems fine.
  • Creating a New drawing based on my work templates on my Windows 11 PC has same freezing/crashing issues.

I have noticed that the slower I zoom and scroll (eg wait a second or two between mouse zoom/scroll), the less it freezes and crashes.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Visio | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-08-30T22:05:35+00:00

    Thanks for letting me know. I was just looking up the instructions I used. Hope it works for you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-08-30T21:55:28+00:00

    Hi, I posted this earlier on in the thread. This did work for us and it appears to have worked with others as well. Hopefully the same for you.

    Hello, we found this other thread that explains it. Note that you are rolling back office as a whole, not just visio. Here is a link to the other thread explaining how to roll back. Good luck!

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/topic/how-to-revert-to-an-earlier-version-of-office-2bd5c457-a917-d57e-35a1-f709e3dda841

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-08-30T21:55:11+00:00

    Hi, I posted this earlier on in the thread. This did work for us and it appears to have worked with others as well. Hopefully the same for you.

    Hello, we found this other thread that explains it. Note that you are rolling back office as a whole, not just visio. Here is a link to the other thread explaining how to roll back. Good luck!

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/topic/how-to-revert-to-an-earlier-version-of-office-2bd5c457-a917-d57e-35a1-f709e3dda841

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-08-30T21:29:50+00:00

    I tried the registry deleting keys and that didn't work. It is realllllly freezing and locking up, how do I roll back to a previous version? I can't seem to find that anywhere, I have a big project coming due, and this problem is hugely frustrating.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-08-14T14:48:37+00:00

    Having the same issue here. It all started after a recent Office 365 update in August 2023.

    Visio started crashing after a few seconds once the visio doc was opened.

    Checked a number of things like disable hardware, disabled add ins. All were already disabled.

    Eliminated the visio doc as root cause since all the older versions of it dated 2022 also crashes.

    Tried repairing the Visio install. No change.

    Tried uninstall/reinstall. This seemed to fix it. Had another windows update this morning and now Visio is failing again.

    The same issue is happening to my colleague on the same corporate build (Lenovo Thinkpad).

    Please let me know what advice to pass back to our help desk so that they can follow the instructions to resolve it for us as we are not admins.

    Happy to run an old version of Visio to workaround. Screenshot of Visio version attached.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments