Visio Freezes & Crashes when Scrolling or Zooming

Anonymous
2023-05-03T06:25:47+00:00

Hi,

Over the past few weeks I have noticed that Visio seems to freeze and sometimes crash when zooming in/out or scrolling up or down.

I run visio on 2 PC. A windows 11 PC with the specs below, and a windows 10 PC, which has lower specs but doesn’t seem to have the same issues.

The details of my Windows 11 PC are:

Microsoft® Visio® Plan 2 MSO (Version 2304 Build 16.0.16327.20200) 64-bit

Windows 11 Pro 22H2

Processor - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2235 CPU @ 3.80GHz   3.79 GHz

RAM - 32.0 GB

GPU - Nvidia Quadro P2200

So far I have tried the following

  • Run an online repair for Office/Visio on my Windows 11 PC and no change. Still freezes/crashes.
  • Opened the file on my Windows 11 PC running in safe mode. The file seems to work fine. Couldn’t make it freeze or crash.
  • Opened the file on a Windows 10 PC running the same version of Visio, and it works fine (so it’s not the file).
  • Creating a New Blank drawing on my Windows 11 PC seems fine.
  • Creating a New drawing based on my work templates on my Windows 10 PC seems fine.
  • Creating a New drawing based on my work templates on my Windows 11 PC has same freezing/crashing issues.

I have noticed that the slower I zoom and scroll (eg wait a second or two between mouse zoom/scroll), the less it freezes and crashes.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Visio | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-10-03T18:21:24+00:00

    This issue was resolved for me with the last update on 28-09-2023, version 2309.

    Thank goodness. I was ready to switch to other software.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-09-27T19:32:55+00:00

    @Perpéte jacky - I haven't been able to get the "Disable Hardware Graphics Acceleration" to appear either - after deleting the following registry entry:

    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\ExperimentConfigs\Ecs\visio\ConfigContextData
    

    Microsoft has absolutely zero interest in fixing this sever software bug.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-09-27T15:47:45+00:00

    Seems in my case as a business user there were 2-3 monitoring / support apps constantly slowing me down, plus the company has all files on one drive and so moving them to laptop out of the onedrive area helps with lag.

    also working from home on a 350/50 used solo instead of a 120/20 line shared by 6 other people. msconfig to stop un wanted software from running

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-09-27T12:59:02+00:00

    Hello,

    I also have this same problem.

    After deleting the registry key as shown,

    I don't see the 'Disable hardware graphics acceleration' selection appear in the options

    The only thing that works for me is unchecking the 'Ruler' display from the 'View' tab of the ribbon in the 'Show' group.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-08-30T23:28:38+00:00

    I've had this problem since the very day I began a subscription for Visio - in 2021.

    https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/idea/696fff51-b846-ee11-a81c-6045bd8534ad

    Visio Freezing GPU 100%
    August 29, 2023
    https://youtu.be/OQsXeWG-HlU

    Visio Memory Leak
    December 22, 2021
    https://youtu.be/W3zJpQIA4ks

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments