In excel, when I click the help (?) icon, I get "Sorry, something went wrong. Please check your network connection and try again." My network connection is fine. How do I correct this error?

Anonymous
2023-03-02T15:18:14+00:00

In excel, when I click the help (?) icon, I get "Sorry, something went wrong. Please check your network connection and try again." My network connection is fine. How do I correct this error?

I am using Microsoft 365.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-26T17:47:28+00:00

    Interesting. I had those options already set the way you said, but for the heck of it I changed them and changed them back, and upon restarting Excel I have help access for the first time ever! Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-26T17:58:00+00:00

    I had the same experience, but eventually the failure occurs again. I think it's the re-start that temporarily "fixes" the problem. Please post here if you find that is the case for you over the next few days to weeks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-26T18:18:41+00:00

    Yes, that is typically my experience. A reboot will resolve the problem, but not for long. I use Word and Excel a great deal, but it is not a mission-critical app. And when I return to it an need the Help access or the feature that gives you extra forms or even routine forms like page number placements the problem returns.

    The annoyance is at a very high level.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-26T18:40:29+00:00

    Yes, that is typically my experience. A reboot will resolve the problem, but not for long. I use Word and Excel a great deal, but it is not a mission-critical app. And when I return to it an need the Help access or the feature that gives you extra forms or even routine forms like page number placements the problem returns.

    The annoyance is at a very high level.

    I see this behavior in all my Office apps: Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Publisher. I think it has something to do with maintaining a reliable connection to Microsoft's servers. This has been an issue for at least two years, maybe more, and yet to be resolved. I use Outlook on the desktop quite a lot and it loses it Help functionality often. Some days it fails in minutes, other days it runs all day without issue. I am connected to my Microsoft account when the Office apps are failing. All my other internet connected apps on my system like those from Adobe, Google, and Zoom continue to work fine. A lot of people have reported the issue but there must not be enough of us to get Microsoft's attention.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-02-06T00:43:41+00:00

    This worked for me, but I only had to turn off Optional diagnostic data. And I did not have to open and close Excel. Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments