In excel, when I click the help (?) icon, I get "Sorry, something went wrong. Please check your network connection and try again." My network connection is fine. How do I correct this error?

Anonymous
2023-03-02T15:18:14+00:00

In excel, when I click the help (?) icon, I get "Sorry, something went wrong. Please check your network connection and try again." My network connection is fine. How do I correct this error?

I am using Microsoft 365.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-04T17:10:21+00:00

    This information has been shared many times with regard to this issue. If you read through the many posts on this topic, you will see that and also see that many users have selected to share all information as required yet the problem still persists. You inferred suggestion is not a solution to the current issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-08T21:08:57+00:00

    Solution:

    Log into your Microsoft account and keep it open in another window, close Excel, and open Excel, Help is working. Pain in the backside. Thanks, Microsoft NOT.

    Thanks. This led me to figure out how to get Help to work on my system. I have a Microsoft account (a.k.a., personal/consumer account) and a Work or School account (a.k.a., business/Azure AD/Microsoft Entra account). The Microsoft account is for my personal OneDrive and doesn't have an Office 365 subscription while the Work or School account does have an Office 365 license assigned to it. I was working on an Excel file stored locally on my PC when I was getting the error. After reading your solution, I clicked on the dropdown at the top of Excel and switched to my Work or School account, with the same file still open, and Help started working. I switched back to the Microsoft account and Help immediately stopped working again. So, even though everything else in Excel works with my personal Microsoft account selected, Help, as well as Contact Support, Show Training, and What's New, only work when my Work or School account is selected.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-15T17:27:07+00:00

    This worked for me. Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-18T16:44:37+00:00

    I did exactly the same, and help is now available again. For how long I don't know, but good so far. Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-18T17:19:38+00:00

    Let us know if your issue returns. Based on my experience, it will.

    The short-term fix is to stop and then restart the offending MS Office product. After all this time the reported problem still has no permanent fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments