In excel, when I click the help (?) icon, I get "Sorry, something went wrong. Please check your network connection and try again." My network connection is fine. How do I correct this error?

Anonymous
2023-03-02T15:18:14+00:00

In excel, when I click the help (?) icon, I get "Sorry, something went wrong. Please check your network connection and try again." My network connection is fine. How do I correct this error?

I am using Microsoft 365.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-08-01T21:38:54+00:00

    Please let us know if this solution continues to work for you after a few days of use or if the problem reoccurs. When I have this issue simply opening and closing the app causes "Help" to work again but it is not a permanent fix.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-09-12T17:11:09+00:00

    I did a variant of the original answer which seems to work so far.

    i.e.: after doing this:

    * Open the Excel app> go to File > options> select trust center> select trust center settings> Click on Privacy Option> Click on privacy settings > Check all the connected experiences including "Turn On experiences that download online content" and "Turn on experiences that analyze content" *

    Close and reopen Excel

    which didn't work, I then unchecked:

    Optional diagnostic data

    Personalized offers and discounts for Microsoft products

    Close and reopen Excel

    and help was working again!

    This worked for me, but originally the *Optional diagnostic data was unchecked, so I checked it. Close and reopen excel and help was working again. Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-09-18T11:46:26+00:00

    Same problem, in both Excel and Word. The error message appears totally inappropriate to the problem. Now that printed manuals are not (usually) part of software packeges, it is more important than ever that in-program help should work. Why does Microsoft not provide downloadable help files, and why do they ignore all the complaints about basic bugs?

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-09-18T16:20:47+00:00

    Same problem, in both Excel and Word. The error message appears totally inappropriate to the problem. Now that printed manuals are not (usually) part of software packeges, it is more important than ever that in-program help should work. Why does Microsoft not provide downloadable help files, and why do they ignore all the complaints about basic bugs?

    Not sure what to say. It is frustrating for sure. It seems to be a low-level problem. It comes and goes for me. I am seeing it happen more often in Word and Excel now and less so in Outlook. But in any case, the Help function remains unreliable for some people, and it's been that way for over a year or more now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-09-28T21:22:25+00:00

    Thank you, Jim, for your calm and reasoned reply. I have suffered with this "feature" for months. It's as if no one has seen it before, and most of the recommendations I have followed have either not worked or worked only for a couple of weeks. This is the Help menu we are talking about. Where people go when they need help, it also screws up other 'features.' But there is no resolution that I have seen that gets to the root of the problem. I wish you luck.

    Curtiss

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments