In excel, when I click the help (?) icon, I get "Sorry, something went wrong. Please check your network connection and try again." My network connection is fine. How do I correct this error?

Anonymous
2023-03-02T15:18:14+00:00

In excel, when I click the help (?) icon, I get "Sorry, something went wrong. Please check your network connection and try again." My network connection is fine. How do I correct this error?

I am using Microsoft 365.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-06-07T22:51:00+00:00

    I've seen this answer on a number of complaint posts. This will not fix anything as far as I know. The Internet connection is fine. I am fully logged on using my MS Account. This is some connection issue specific to Excel (although it may occur in other Office apps but I've not seen it). Frankly, this is inexcusable. There are many complaints over this same issue and if it's not your answer which is useless information, then there are other fixes which work for some people some times. For instance, the logging out and logging in will get Excel help back but only until the connection to Help is dropped, usually a short time later. Or, how about the reboot? Cold or hot reboot? Doesn't make a difference. Closing out of all Office apps? Works for a while, then the Excel help connection is dropped. Microsoft, forget about AI and fix what you already have.

    You are absolutely right. This problem has been around for many months. I see it happening on various Office 365 apps such as Excel, Word, and Outlook. See my original post and my numerous updates over time.

    I do hope it gets fixed sometime soon. Luckily, it's not a showstopper issue and it has a work around; close out the failing app and restart it, it will work again for a while before failing again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-09-18T11:46:26+00:00

    Same problem, in both Excel and Word. The error message appears totally inappropriate to the problem. Now that printed manuals are not (usually) part of software packeges, it is more important than ever that in-program help should work. Why does Microsoft not provide downloadable help files, and why do they ignore all the complaints about basic bugs?

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-07-04T17:03:23+00:00

    My last post on this issue was a month ago. The problem still persists. I keep hoping that someday it will work again reliability. I'm still waiting.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-03-09T02:51:35+00:00

    Yes when I said relaunch I mean close the application and open it again. In my case Help/F1 functionality works for a while again (minutes to hours) before it fails again with the error message that I may not be connected to the internet.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-03-09T02:39:52+00:00

    Thank you for responding. So, what you are saying is that Microsoft has a defective product for which I am expected to correct.

    By relaunch, do you mean reinstall? Or simply turn off and then on. If the second solution is what you mean, I have tried that.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments