Office 365 iOS App Corrupted Excel File

Anonymous
2023-03-18T18:37:50+00:00

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me with 2 xlsx files that have been corrupted.

I use iCloud to store my documents, I finished working on the 2 files in question on my MacBook in the morning and then later in the day successfully viewed them (not modified) on my iPhone using the Office 365 app.

When I came to open the files again, they are unable to be opened on any device using either numbers or excel. I have tried on my iPhone, MacBook and a Windows 11 PC. The error message is:

"Excel cannot open the file 'ABCDEF.xlsx' because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file."

I have tried changing the file extension to xls. I've tried to open and repair the files using Excel on Windows however that hasn't worked either. I've used a couple of trial versions of recovery software and the preview shows the first sheet is there but the remaining sheets aren't which are vital to the spreadsheet.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience of this issue? I've noticed the timestamp of last saved has changed to the date and time I opened them on my phone. I'm not sure why Office365 resaved these files without me making changes or asking me.

Thanks

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | iOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-06-16T14:02:40+00:00

    This just happened to me today too. It was working just a few days ago and now it's not? Hopefully someone is listening a will issue a fix soon..Hope it doesn't come down to finger pointing between Microsoft and Apple.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-06-12T18:55:48+00:00

    Same here, but weirder. All started for me on Thursday, April 13. Worked on 2 excel files on iPad Pro. No issue. Came back in the afternoon and got error messages that “The folder may have been moved, renamed, or deleted.” I did none of these. I looked every place and they were no place, especially in recycle bin. I submitted a ticket to MSN (OneDrive) and heard nothing. Then, while in Mexico, at 9pm on May 12, 29 days, I get an email from an Escalation Manager that the files were in the recycle bin and I had only 2 hours to retrieve them or they’d be gone forever. ****. What if I missed the email? I got the folder and files back as I hurriedly recovered them, but similar things have been occurring since, like what I’ve read here that the file extension was incorrect. This is bogus. Now I’ve emailed the critical files to myself, and placed copies in Numbers. It’s an issue between iOS, OneDrive, and excel. This MUST be fixed before I have to renew my 365 Subscription. It’s bad that OneDrive or Apple hasn’t said a word, unless I missed it. Confidence? Shaky.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-06-02T13:28:52+00:00

    Exact same problems for me. AND this also happens with Microsoft Word. I thought it had something to do with when iCloud syncs the file at the same time as when the file is open. But perhaps it is another issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-05-20T13:01:36+00:00

    I don't have a Mac so this is not an option for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-05-19T15:59:41+00:00

    Hi Dennis,

    Yes, it works, but this is a bug that either Msft or Apple need to fix, else no point inn 365 for future...

    Rgds.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments