Office 365 iOS App Corrupted Excel File

Anonymous
2023-03-18T18:37:50+00:00

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me with 2 xlsx files that have been corrupted.

I use iCloud to store my documents, I finished working on the 2 files in question on my MacBook in the morning and then later in the day successfully viewed them (not modified) on my iPhone using the Office 365 app.

When I came to open the files again, they are unable to be opened on any device using either numbers or excel. I have tried on my iPhone, MacBook and a Windows 11 PC. The error message is:

"Excel cannot open the file 'ABCDEF.xlsx' because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file."

I have tried changing the file extension to xls. I've tried to open and repair the files using Excel on Windows however that hasn't worked either. I've used a couple of trial versions of recovery software and the preview shows the first sheet is there but the remaining sheets aren't which are vital to the spreadsheet.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience of this issue? I've noticed the timestamp of last saved has changed to the date and time I opened them on my phone. I'm not sure why Office365 resaved these files without me making changes or asking me.

Thanks

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | iOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-08-17T16:27:34+00:00

    I am having the same issue. 5th File corrupted today and microsoft support is unable to help. Frankly I am at my wits end. It is appalling that no on at Microsoft or Apple can pull this together and solve it. I’ve used Excel for c30 years and Apple for as long as I can remember.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-07-20T15:20:29+00:00

    That’s just it. I was using OneDrive. Then they added the 365 app and that’s when things went sideways. I mention iCloud since I believe it’s all related somehow, but I’m not a tech, and no one from OneDrive, MS, or Apple seemingly has had no interest in fixing this. Every day I do the same thing open a file, close a file, reopen. Never change name, location, delete. Yet, they got deleted, and I never saw them in recycle till I got the late night email from an Escalation Manager from MS (only contact I ever got) saying you have 2 hours left to move them back, or they’re gone forever. That’s the only time I saw them in Recycle, that was May 12, 29 days + ~20hours after they initially disappeared.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-07-20T15:07:38+00:00

    I have been successfully using OneDrive on my PC, iPhone and iPad Pro while editing the same spreadsheet. It doesn't appear the O365/iCloud issue will be resolved in a timely fashion so I recommend using OneDrive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-07-20T01:43:59+00:00

    I still have not heard anything from OneDrive, MS, Apple, no one. iCloud seems to be the culprit in how 365 products live on iOS platforms. Only thing I can do is mitigate risk and email files to myself, send to Numbers, keep copies offline. I will need to renew my 365 subscription at some point, decisions will need to be made. This is. Sorry state of affairs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-07-19T20:47:26+00:00

    Is there a structural solution available for this from Microsoft?

    Unfortunately none of the suggestion in this thread work for me.

    Pretty pathetic issue to have which renders 365 useless on iCloud.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments