Family Safety - Not able to see location of family members anymore just get the message "We couldn't find their location"

Anonymous
2023-02-19T09:49:02+00:00

Hi,

Over the past week, none of us using the family safety app in the family are able to see the location details of other family members. The settings are all fine and everyone is still sharing their location all the time. Any idea how we can resolve the issue.

Thanks

Microsoft 365 and Office | Microsoft Family Safety | For home | Android

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-05-19T13:36:05+00:00

    It is now mid-May of 2023 and this problem persists. I have verified location settings on my children's devices along with location permissions for Microsoft Family Safety, and still I show location unavailable.

    I have reinstalled the app on my device which has worked for a short while in the past but now that no longer seems to correct the issue. Microsoft Family Safety does a fantastic job at application and web filtering but anything relating to location is non-functioning. I have share drive and location enabled on my device with my wife and she can't even see that.

    I went under my settings and attempted to add a place. I began entering the street address and it found it I selected it and named it when I went to save it, I'm presented with a message that it cannot find this place.

    After reading of others' similar problems, issue appears to be related to the newest version of Android which I'm sure this is due to some Google shenanigans. Regardless locations is working for other apps.

    Fortunately I also use Google's family link. It's application and web safety isnt nearly as good as Microsoft Family Safety, but at least I can find the location of my children.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-05-10T07:12:56+00:00

    Same issue here.

    @Microsoft, how is it possible this issue is still not fixed, the problem is there since february?
    Millions of people use this to find and check the children, would therefore expect that this is currently the very highest priority at Microsoft, but I don't have that idea at all.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-04-15T01:48:43+00:00

    There is clearly a bug with the Android app. Despite all the settings and permissions being configured appropriately, the app simply stops synching locations on Amdroid phones since the updates around February. This needs to be fixed. Families depend on this capability to stay safe and it has simply stopped working.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-04-05T20:32:51+00:00

    We switched to Life360. It does a really good job of showing location in real time. But it does eat up battery more than Family Safety. As a side note we found Family Safety security is easily defeated by simply opening a private browser window in Edge. There does not seem to be a way to prevent kids from opening a private browser window in mobile Edge or Family Safety. Once in a private browser window there are zero restrictions or reporting. With all of that in mind Family Safety is useless.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-04-05T19:08:27+00:00

    We switched to Life360 for the same reason you stated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments