How to stop Microsoft SharePoint pop up continually asking me to share confidential information stored in keychain

Anonymous
2023-01-10T15:10:48+00:00

Hi, I no longer have or use Microsoft SharePoint (as far as I can see by searching my applications) but I continually get a pop up on my Mac saying that Microsoft SharePoint wants to sue my confidential information stored in 'Microsoft Identity xxxxxx' in my keychain. It then asks me to allow or deny. I always click Deny, but I have to click it approx 10 times before it dissapears. It then reappears about an hour later and repeats every day. its very frustrating. Any ideas on how I can stop this???

Thanks

Paul

Microsoft 365 and Office | SharePoint | Other | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-22T11:23:32+00:00

    I fixed it with the help of Microsoft support:

    "Just a quick recap, you contacted Microsoft support because you needed help with removing the sharepoint keychain prompt on your Mac. After investigation, we have found that the problem is due to your OneDrive standalone for business app. We resolved it by removing the auto-update file in keychain, office keychain and onedrive keychain."

    We also removed OneDrive, restarted and reinstalled OneDrive

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-10-23T19:46:39+00:00

    Same issue here.

    I opened a conversation through the chat function with Microsoft (followed instructions on page 1) and they told me to follow the steps in this link:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/office-for-mac-repeatedly-requesting-keychain-access-ced5a09c-3099-47cb-9190-e961bf63e240

    Haven't tried it yet but thought I'd share first and hopefully it will work for you guys.

    UPDATE: The woman I was speaking to on Chat earlier was the general Microsoft Support. She put me through to Microsoft Office Support who suggested the following steps:

    First quit all the office apps opened on your Mac. 

    Then after that do follow this step. 

    open FINDER > APPLICATIONS > UTILITIES > KEYCHAIN ACCESS. look for exchange. 

    Locate SharePoint cached credential entry and delete it. 

    Remove the following password entries: Microsoft Office Identities cache 2 Microsoft Office Identities settings 2. 

    After that restart your device.

    NOTE: I couldn't find exchange or any of the entries mentioned above, so she asked me to search for 'Microsoft' in my Keychain Access, and delete all microsoft entries (excluding Certificates which you can't delete). Then restart device.

    Finally, she said "if the issue still persists you need to contact apple support this is about apple developer issues."

    Good luck people :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-09-30T12:28:38+00:00

    This is clearly a deliberate move on Microsoft’s part, seeing that the « Deny » button in that box is a fake. In light of the wave of dissatisfaction with this and other Microsoft products (eg Outlook’s highly defective, hit and miss search command, and its moving 1 out of 4 « Sent » emails to « Drafts »…), my own institution (U of Toronto) is currently considering dropping these products altogether and moving their business elsewhere.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-09-30T02:25:52+00:00

    I read through all four pages of replies to this over the last year, and Microsoft stopped responding after about the first page. It's disappointing but not surprising, I would never even be using these services had it not been for school... And I find it highly odd that Sharepoint, an application none of us have, but from what I have read here allows OTHERS to work on your projects, is continuously asking to access Keychain which is where Macs keep all our passwords.

    Weird, annoying, and inconvenient could be used to describe this issue.

    This was created in January and since has had many people agreeing that they have the same issue and yet Microsoft is silent. Get it together...

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-08-21T10:10:34+00:00

    Here is a better idea. How about you fix it from the Mocrosoft end and stop trying to access information you have no need for.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments