"Unknown error trying to lock file." when opening file in Excel from SharePoint

Anonymous
2023-03-06T19:20:06+00:00

One of my users with Win 10 pro (upto date) is having trouble opening files (xlsx and xlsm) from SharePoint in Excel, they are getting the error "Unknown error trying to lock file." They are running Excel 2016, fully up to date. They were not having an issue Friday.

Tried the same files on SharePoint on other computers and did not get the same error. I tried via another user account on the computer that is having trouble and got the same error. I tried an Office repair, quick and full, which did not help. Teams and Outlook are on this computer and are having no trouble. I was also able to open word files on SharePoint with no issue.

I'm a little stymied any help would be greatly appreciated.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-03-30T03:11:11+00:00

After run update as picture the issue is resolved,

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-03-29T02:50:55+00:00

Hi All,

Updated, SP525140 was resolved, please check if you still have the issue on your side.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation! Have a good day.

Sincerely,

Sean | Microsoft Community Moderator

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-03-17T16:11:22+00:00

    Thank you. This process worked. I also had to repeat step 2.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-03-20T14:45:58+00:00

    Thanks, it didn't work for me.

    I have the same error and it is 3 weeks now and getting really fed up with Microsoft still not having a fix for this.

    Lucia

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-03-20T14:52:10+00:00

    I have tried Nur Adibah binti Abd Razak's solution and got it to work for myself. I will try with my end users today. Office version 2021

    Here is what is did:

    1. Open Excel (or any office app) then sign out
    2. Go to the file in question and open in app
    3. You will get a prompt to log in to see the file. In my case i had another account I needed to sign out of, so i repeated step 2.
    4. Once you've signed in with your account try editing file and see if it works.

    This did end up working for me but I had to restart after Step 2.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments