"Unknown error trying to lock file." when opening file in Excel from SharePoint

Anonymous
2023-03-06T19:20:06+00:00

One of my users with Win 10 pro (upto date) is having trouble opening files (xlsx and xlsm) from SharePoint in Excel, they are getting the error "Unknown error trying to lock file." They are running Excel 2016, fully up to date. They were not having an issue Friday.

Tried the same files on SharePoint on other computers and did not get the same error. I tried via another user account on the computer that is having trouble and got the same error. I tried an Office repair, quick and full, which did not help. Teams and Outlook are on this computer and are having no trouble. I was also able to open word files on SharePoint with no issue.

I'm a little stymied any help would be greatly appreciated.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-03-30T03:11:11+00:00

After run update as picture the issue is resolved,

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-03-29T02:50:55+00:00

Hi All,

Updated, SP525140 was resolved, please check if you still have the issue on your side.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation! Have a good day.

Sincerely,

Sean | Microsoft Community Moderator

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-03-21T10:26:50+00:00

    I've been experiencing the same problem and have used windows file explorer as a somewhat effective workaround, only there have been new folders I have created, which have not been updated on SharePoint. It's been over 2 weeks since they were created and they only show on the file explorer. I've tried signing out of the apps several times and it hasn't seemed to work either.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-03-24T10:38:52+00:00

    Hey, I was struggling with this issue. I was finding that I couldn't edit files from Sharepoint or Teams (opening in Read Only) and files that I was saving to the synced location in Windows File Explorer weren't updating on OndDrive. I seem to have found a fix for this.

    Open windows file explorer and right click on the synced fields to open the file properties. There is a check box for "Read-only" that was partially checked. (pictured). Uncheck this box and press apply.

    This doesn't fix all situations, if there are damaged or corrupted files in these folders you can't change the permissions. For this, I downloaded the contents of the file to my desktop, deleted the content on OneDrive, and changed the permission then. You might need to sign out of the OneDrive app as other users have suggested as well, to get it to sync properly.

    Hope that helps. Super frustrating

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-03-27T09:56:14+00:00

    Some of our users reported this incident and when raise a ticket to MS, unfortunately the solution provided doesn't work at all.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments