"Unknown error trying to lock file." when opening file in Excel from SharePoint

Anonymous
2023-03-06T19:20:06+00:00

One of my users with Win 10 pro (upto date) is having trouble opening files (xlsx and xlsm) from SharePoint in Excel, they are getting the error "Unknown error trying to lock file." They are running Excel 2016, fully up to date. They were not having an issue Friday.

Tried the same files on SharePoint on other computers and did not get the same error. I tried via another user account on the computer that is having trouble and got the same error. I tried an Office repair, quick and full, which did not help. Teams and Outlook are on this computer and are having no trouble. I was also able to open word files on SharePoint with no issue.

I'm a little stymied any help would be greatly appreciated.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-03-30T03:11:11+00:00

After run update as picture the issue is resolved,

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-03-29T02:50:55+00:00

Hi All,

Updated, SP525140 was resolved, please check if you still have the issue on your side.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation! Have a good day.

Sincerely,

Sean | Microsoft Community Moderator

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-03-17T08:47:52+00:00

    My manager got the solution already, you guys need to sign out from Microsoft office first then try reopen file again from SharePoint then sign in again. If still got the same error, restart and reopen again the file

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-03-16T09:06:03+00:00

    How to fix this? We have tried updating the version as pe the thread. And its still not working

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Makapu 92,380 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-03-15T18:37:57+00:00

    This response has been automatically translated. As a result, there may be grammatical errors or strange wording.

    I suggest that you can click feedback in the Excel application to directly report this problem to the relevant Excel teams, which can quickly make the comments attract the attention of developers.

    You can open Excel and click File>Feedback>click I have a suggestion and write this query to feedback it to the Excel team.

    How do I give feedback on Microsoft 365? - Microsoft Support

    or

    Feedback · Community (microsoft.com)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments