"Unknown error trying to lock file." when opening file in Excel from SharePoint

Anonymous
2023-03-06T19:20:06+00:00

One of my users with Win 10 pro (upto date) is having trouble opening files (xlsx and xlsm) from SharePoint in Excel, they are getting the error "Unknown error trying to lock file." They are running Excel 2016, fully up to date. They were not having an issue Friday.

Tried the same files on SharePoint on other computers and did not get the same error. I tried via another user account on the computer that is having trouble and got the same error. I tried an Office repair, quick and full, which did not help. Teams and Outlook are on this computer and are having no trouble. I was also able to open word files on SharePoint with no issue.

I'm a little stymied any help would be greatly appreciated.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-03-30T03:11:11+00:00

After run update as picture the issue is resolved,

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-03-29T02:50:55+00:00

Hi All,

Updated, SP525140 was resolved, please check if you still have the issue on your side.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation! Have a good day.

Sincerely,

Sean | Microsoft Community Moderator

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-03-08T20:08:35+00:00

    I am seeing this issue too. I have clients on Office 2016 and Office 2019. Opening Excel documents from SharePoint online gives that error. Opening with Excel in the browser seems to work okay.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-03-08T16:08:14+00:00

    Multiple members of my team are receiving this same "Unknown error trying to lock file." message when using Office 2019 and Office 2021.

    My team have already tried resetting our passwords, clearing caches, resetting laptops, logging out and back in of OneDrive and checking for updates. None of this has rectified the situation and the error message still appears.

    Thanks, Damien

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-03-08T16:04:42+00:00

    I am having the same issue with Excel 2019. I am also having the same issue with other Office apps such as Word and Powerpoint.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments