A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data
After run update as picture the issue is resolved,
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
One of my users with Win 10 pro (upto date) is having trouble opening files (xlsx and xlsm) from SharePoint in Excel, they are getting the error "Unknown error trying to lock file." They are running Excel 2016, fully up to date. They were not having an issue Friday.
Tried the same files on SharePoint on other computers and did not get the same error. I tried via another user account on the computer that is having trouble and got the same error. I tried an Office repair, quick and full, which did not help. Teams and Outlook are on this computer and are having no trouble. I was also able to open word files on SharePoint with no issue.
I'm a little stymied any help would be greatly appreciated.
A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
I've been experiencing the same problem and have used windows file explorer as a somewhat effective workaround, only there have been new folders I have created, which have not been updated on SharePoint. It's been over 2 weeks since they were created and they only show on the file explorer. I've tried signing out of the apps several times and it hasn't seemed to work either.
I have tried Nur Adibah binti Abd Razak's solution and got it to work for myself. I will try with my end users today. Office version 2021
Here is what is did:
- Open Excel (or any office app) then sign out
- Go to the file in question and open in app
- You will get a prompt to log in to see the file. In my case i had another account I needed to sign out of, so i repeated step 2.
- Once you've signed in with your account try editing file and see if it works.
This did end up working for me but I had to restart after Step 2.
Thanks, it didn't work for me.
I have the same error and it is 3 weeks now and getting really fed up with Microsoft still not having a fix for this.
Lucia