"Unknown error trying to lock file." when opening file in Excel from SharePoint

Anonymous
2023-03-06T19:20:06+00:00

One of my users with Win 10 pro (upto date) is having trouble opening files (xlsx and xlsm) from SharePoint in Excel, they are getting the error "Unknown error trying to lock file." They are running Excel 2016, fully up to date. They were not having an issue Friday.

Tried the same files on SharePoint on other computers and did not get the same error. I tried via another user account on the computer that is having trouble and got the same error. I tried an Office repair, quick and full, which did not help. Teams and Outlook are on this computer and are having no trouble. I was also able to open word files on SharePoint with no issue.

I'm a little stymied any help would be greatly appreciated.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-03-30T03:11:11+00:00

After run update as picture the issue is resolved,

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-03-29T02:50:55+00:00

Hi All,

Updated, SP525140 was resolved, please check if you still have the issue on your side.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation! Have a good day.

Sincerely,

Sean | Microsoft Community Moderator

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-03-29T03:15:56+00:00

    Hi All,

    Updated, SP525140 was resolved, please check if you still have the issue on your side.

    The issue is still there, it wasn't fixed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-03-29T01:06:50+00:00

    Hello Sean,

    I saw that there was an update to Current Channel today. Would the fix be included in that update or are we still waiting?

    Please let us know when we should expect this issue to be fixed.

    Thanks,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-03-28T21:21:18+00:00

    Actually you don't even have to reinstall Teams.

    I completely uninstalled Office 365, reinstalled it and it worked. I then noticed that Teams was gone so I reinstalled Teams as well. Still worked for a while but went back to the original issue the following day.

    Could be a coincidence but a couple of days earlier our system admin started to deploy Office 365 and Teams to our devices on Azure AD. Most of our devices already had them installed (including the one that has issues).

    Could it be related? Is it the case for anyone else?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments