How can there be guests on my excel sheet that i did not give access to??

Anonymous
2023-03-01T11:28:15+00:00

I had 2 'Guests' on my outlook excel file with personal information. Last one's name 'Sugarberry' . I could not get them off as they were not listed on my 'Share' list of guests.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | Other | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-12-03T15:52:16+00:00

    Have the same problem tonight.

    Got visited by "Spurge", then followed by "Citrus" into the excel.

    I'd changed the manage access to "Specific People" instead of shared link which no one had shared out.

    And the adjustment to "Specific People" is taking forever to loop and set up the new link. Currently... still not working...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-12-03T17:26:36+00:00

    Be aware, specific people will not work unless all those on the list have a Microsoft account. MS recommends having others create an account with their current email address.

    I found this out when researching why I got the spinning wheel on setting shares.

    I think others in this thread are correct, MS is assigning random names to non MS account users who have been sent the link to these sheets.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-12-17T02:10:01+00:00

    I'm having same problem with "Bayberry (Guest)". My friend told me he also has random fruit-themed names popping up

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-12-17T08:43:46+00:00

    Hi, i’ve tried with new file shared by “anyone can access with link” and finally, I found out that these random users are just user that are not signed with Microsoft account.

    I have tried with new private window in my browser without being signed on my Microsoft account, and one of this random users appeared immediately.

    If it can help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-12-18T21:49:25+00:00

    I have the same issue...
    And what If my friend shared sensitive information in the document?

    I've deleted the document right after I noticed there are others in the doc, but I don't think I was quick enough. A selectAll+clipboard could be faster.
    This is not the first time when I see BIG problems with o365/ onedrive.

    Simply I can't belive what I had to experience with this "software package".

    What if someone abuses the sensitive data I provided? how can I prove ms fault? I can guess... no way

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments