How can there be guests on my excel sheet that i did not give access to??

Anonymous
2023-03-01T11:28:15+00:00

I had 2 'Guests' on my outlook excel file with personal information. Last one's name 'Sugarberry' . I could not get them off as they were not listed on my 'Share' list of guests.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | Other | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2023-08-03T15:35:11+00:00

    I ran into the same issue this morning. There were 4 other "guests" in my document with names of 'Melon', 'Papaya', 'Sycamore'! etc. They don't show up on my guest list in managed access. Interesting we both had the same name drop into a document.

    Did you find anything else out?

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-08-03T15:46:10+00:00

    Has anyone received any updates to this security issue with Microsoft? I had the same issue just today.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-08-03T20:10:58+00:00

    Same issue here. I added 1 co-worker and when he used the link I was seeing a random name as a guest. If Microsoft advises Excel just isn't recognizing the email of my co-worker I can accept that, just don't want a security issue with my documents. Also, we tested and as he selected cells and added info it was showing to me, so it WAS him.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-08-03T20:35:11+00:00

    That's the oddity. My colleagues were also logged into the document and the icon was displaying their initials so I knew it was them but the unknown guest accounts that were not showing up in 'Manage Access" had names such as "Melon", "Papya", "Sycamore", etc. names of fruit and things. Another user within this issue also reported a "sycamore" name as one of the guests which is interesting. Given that case, I'd expect it to be something internally with Microsoft.

    Spoke with Microsoft tech today and mentioned they may have an unknown security issue. The tech was unable to speak to the issue but will address with IT Security team. Maybe we'll hear something more. Maybe not.

    Nonetheless, I wasn't going to wait for their response to say "it's all safe", I moved everything off OneDrive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments