How can there be guests on my excel sheet that i did not give access to??

Anonymous
2023-03-01T11:28:15+00:00

I had 2 'Guests' on my outlook excel file with personal information. Last one's name 'Sugarberry' . I could not get them off as they were not listed on my 'Share' list of guests.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | Other | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-03-01T12:14:22+00:00

    Hi KayVee!

    Perhaps the guests were given access to the file through a link that was shared with them, rather than through an invitation that you sent directly from the Excel file. When someone accesses a file through a link, they may not show up on the list of guests that you see in the Excel file's sharing settings.

    To revoke access to the file, you can try the following steps: * Go to the OneDrive or SharePoint site where the file is stored. * Find the file and select it. *Tap on the 3-dots "..." icon to bring up the file menu. * Select "Manage access" from the menu.

    Look for any users or groups listed that you did not give access to. Select the user or group you want to remove and click on "Remove". * Tap to "Save" to apply the changes.

    Tip: It's also a good idea to check your sharing settings and make sure that the file is only accessible to people you intend to share it with.

    If you are still unable to remove the guests, it's possible that they may have been given access through someone else's shared link (co-admin). In that case, you may need to contact the person who shared the link and ask them to revoke access for the guests.

    Kind Regards, Shakiru

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-03-01T12:57:40+00:00

    Thank you,

    I have tried all that. The 2 files are work files that I only shared with my co-worker who has to work on them as well. The link was never shared to anyone else. But 2 strange names popped up as guests while I was working on the file. I could net remove them (trying all that you suggested above)

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-04-07T23:52:24+00:00

    Hello KayVee, did you find a way out of the issue eventually?

    I'm having the exact same problem right now, only that the guest's name is "Honeydew". It gives me the chills to think that someone random may be spying on the work I'm doing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-04-11T18:36:25+00:00

    I am having the same issue. An excel file shared with only one other person. We had two extra guests that we could not remove.. quickly deleted the data but I am unsure if they can still access the old versions? Very frightening! Names included Jacaranda, who's name then changed to Jackfruit, and then Sycamore.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-04-12T08:23:08+00:00

    No! Still a mystery! ...and I had a Honeydew visiting as well.....

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments