How can there be guests on my excel sheet that i did not give access to??

Anonymous
2023-03-01T11:28:15+00:00

I had 2 'Guests' on my outlook excel file with personal information. Last one's name 'Sugarberry' . I could not get them off as they were not listed on my 'Share' list of guests.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | Other | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-09-22T23:37:12+00:00

    yes I think you may have it

    I was signed in, not signed in and Juniper (guest) came up and freaked me out

    what a pity they don't tell you that they'll do this - I just wasted 20 mins

    but i do realise that the instructions they give for checking guests and visitors - I only get accessability when I click the 3 dots - so I have to work that out now

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-09-20T00:27:43+00:00

    I noticed the same thing and was flipping out that someone named "Beetroot" (Guest) was viewing my workbook at the time. I knew that I had only shared the excel sheet with MYSELF through another of my email addresses. I am thankful for the other couple replies in this thread that suggested and tested that if someone clicked on the shared sheet but wasn't signed into a microsoft account, it creates a random name for that person. I was also able to test this just now with my phone clicking on the shared excel sheet, but viewing it from my main account on my computer and sure enough this time it was given the name "Spinach". And on my computer I could see where the cursor was from my phone's "guest". BUT...

    Now when viewing the excel sheet on my computer I see TWO GUESTS... one being my phone and why is there another one?? I really hope Microsoft looks into this and addresses it. Definitely don't want to keep important documents online this way right now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-09-10T05:51:11+00:00

    guys i just got this problem and found this question, i had tried and solved this problem(halfy), first of all, it's safe(probally),because it probally it just yourself clicking the link without logging in to excel,i tried to share a link with an empty excel,and press the link on my phone which is not logging(open the link by website too), and i saw the nickname on my main account, the phone log in one nickname become a random fruit or food or colour, you can check by this method and you can see the visitor coloum( etc:a2 c6) will show on your main account holder with their colour , but the problem now is i cant find the way to delete it after my phone account closed the window, so i said solved halfy

    sorry for bad grammer but hope this will help !

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-08-08T01:16:13+00:00

    I have had the same issue with Coffeetree, Ash, Bismark.

    One user after the other and showing 'has this workbook open' and 'is editing this workbook' but nothing has been added or deleted. This is the 1st time this has ever happened. I have not shared these files with ANYONE. What is happening - this is not good!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-08-07T14:56:41+00:00

    Good point about the VPN. That may have something to do with it as the coworkers I shard the document with utilize a VPN. IF Microsoft ever returns a response to me I'll bring up this point.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments