How can there be guests on my excel sheet that i did not give access to??

Anonymous
2023-03-01T11:28:15+00:00

I had 2 'Guests' on my outlook excel file with personal information. Last one's name 'Sugarberry' . I could not get them off as they were not listed on my 'Share' list of guests.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | Other | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-08-03T20:35:11+00:00

    That's the oddity. My colleagues were also logged into the document and the icon was displaying their initials so I knew it was them but the unknown guest accounts that were not showing up in 'Manage Access" had names such as "Melon", "Papya", "Sycamore", etc. names of fruit and things. Another user within this issue also reported a "sycamore" name as one of the guests which is interesting. Given that case, I'd expect it to be something internally with Microsoft.

    Spoke with Microsoft tech today and mentioned they may have an unknown security issue. The tech was unable to speak to the issue but will address with IT Security team. Maybe we'll hear something more. Maybe not.

    Nonetheless, I wasn't going to wait for their response to say "it's all safe", I moved everything off OneDrive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-08-03T15:35:11+00:00

    I ran into the same issue this morning. There were 4 other "guests" in my document with names of 'Melon', 'Papaya', 'Sycamore'! etc. They don't show up on my guest list in managed access. Interesting we both had the same name drop into a document.

    Did you find anything else out?

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-05-25T17:17:49+00:00

    I have the same problem. Coralberry and Corriander have it open. I can't even delete the file as it is open by someone else! This is crazy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-03-01T12:14:22+00:00

    Hi KayVee!

    Perhaps the guests were given access to the file through a link that was shared with them, rather than through an invitation that you sent directly from the Excel file. When someone accesses a file through a link, they may not show up on the list of guests that you see in the Excel file's sharing settings.

    To revoke access to the file, you can try the following steps: * Go to the OneDrive or SharePoint site where the file is stored. * Find the file and select it. *Tap on the 3-dots "..." icon to bring up the file menu. * Select "Manage access" from the menu.

    Look for any users or groups listed that you did not give access to. Select the user or group you want to remove and click on "Remove". * Tap to "Save" to apply the changes.

    Tip: It's also a good idea to check your sharing settings and make sure that the file is only accessible to people you intend to share it with.

    If you are still unable to remove the guests, it's possible that they may have been given access through someone else's shared link (co-admin). In that case, you may need to contact the person who shared the link and ask them to revoke access for the guests.

    Kind Regards, Shakiru

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-09-20T00:27:43+00:00

    I noticed the same thing and was flipping out that someone named "Beetroot" (Guest) was viewing my workbook at the time. I knew that I had only shared the excel sheet with MYSELF through another of my email addresses. I am thankful for the other couple replies in this thread that suggested and tested that if someone clicked on the shared sheet but wasn't signed into a microsoft account, it creates a random name for that person. I was also able to test this just now with my phone clicking on the shared excel sheet, but viewing it from my main account on my computer and sure enough this time it was given the name "Spinach". And on my computer I could see where the cursor was from my phone's "guest". BUT...

    Now when viewing the excel sheet on my computer I see TWO GUESTS... one being my phone and why is there another one?? I really hope Microsoft looks into this and addresses it. Definitely don't want to keep important documents online this way right now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments