How can there be guests on my excel sheet that i did not give access to??

Anonymous
2023-03-01T11:28:15+00:00

I had 2 'Guests' on my outlook excel file with personal information. Last one's name 'Sugarberry' . I could not get them off as they were not listed on my 'Share' list of guests.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | Other | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-03-01T12:57:40+00:00

    Thank you,

    I have tried all that. The 2 files are work files that I only shared with my co-worker who has to work on them as well. The link was never shared to anyone else. But 2 strange names popped up as guests while I was working on the file. I could net remove them (trying all that you suggested above)

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-05-16T16:27:31+00:00

    I don't think these are random guests looking at your spreadsheet. I think for some reason the user "id" of the people you have shared it with are not getting recognized and excel assigns a random "guest" name. We were given "citrus" and "crabwood". It was obvious it was us as the cells we clicked in became highlighted as we moved around the spreadsheet. Not sure why this is happening however.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-07-25T18:59:08+00:00

    Same issue here. I've removed the Link entirely, revoked access except to my co-workers and "Cogwell" (guest) is showing up.

    Talk about losing my composure. These are private spreadsheets for a reason. Microsoft needs to get it together.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-04-07T23:52:24+00:00

    Hello KayVee, did you find a way out of the issue eventually?

    I'm having the exact same problem right now, only that the guest's name is "Honeydew". It gives me the chills to think that someone random may be spying on the work I'm doing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-04-11T18:36:25+00:00

    I am having the same issue. An excel file shared with only one other person. We had two extra guests that we could not remove.. quickly deleted the data but I am unsure if they can still access the old versions? Very frightening! Names included Jacaranda, who's name then changed to Jackfruit, and then Sycamore.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments