Mac OneNote ver. 16.60 "Backups" does NOT show in Preferences

Anonymous
2022-04-15T23:57:37+00:00

PROBLEM

With the release of version 16.60, the Mac OneNote development team stated in the Mac App Store:

...Starting now, your notes on Mac will be automatically backed up on your Mac and not just in the cloud." "...go to OneNote preferences and select Backups. From there, you can customize your backup preferences and access your backed up notes."

The problem is there is no "Backups" section in preferences.

MY ACTIONS

I have uninstalled and reinstalled OneNote multiple times. Rebooted. Signed out and back into my Microsoft account. Nothing I have done has revealed the new Backups section.

I do not know if it makes any difference, but I am a license holder for Microsoft 365 Family edition of which OneNote is a part. I originally downloaded OneNote from the Microsoft site. Today, when I could not find "Backups," I uninstalled OneNote, and re-installed from the Mac App Store; that did not work either.

FOR THE RECORD

I'm a fanatical note-taker, organizational, planner, outliner type of person; OneNote is the best tool I have ever used. I have used OneNote daily since it was first released on Windows. I have gladly moved to Mac and continued to use the Mac version of OneNote. I have also regularly tried other note apps to see if there is anything better. By "better" what I actually mean is if there is another notes app as excellent as OneNote AND allows me to save my data locally. There has only been one contender and it is hardly supported anymore.

QUESTION

Does anybody have a solution?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2022-05-25T13:51:48+00:00

I am glad to report I received the Backups feature.

If you haven't yet received the Backups feature...

I suspect you will receive it in the near future. I wouldn't waste time to determine the cause of delay or to force the feature to appear.

  • April 16th, 2022, I saw in the App Store, the Devs announced the new Backups feature available
  • May 24th, 2022, I received the Backups feature
  • I have no idea why it took that long
  • I tried every tactic I know to force the Backups feature to appear--nothing worked. If it matters to you, look back in these posts and you'll find a post in which I listed everything I tried.

Backups works...

  • The Backups feature works quickly and well
  • I have not yet tried to restore data; I'll report my findings when I try it

Hope for the future...

Assuming the restore feature works properly, then my only hope for future abilities is to allow users their own local destination for backups. As of now, backups are forced to Microsoft's preset location, which is:

/Users/*your user name*/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.onenote.mac/Data/Library/Application Support/Microsoft User Data/OneNote/15.0/Backup

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-04-23T11:12:45+00:00

    Igor,

    I do appreciate your efforts—thank you.

    The lack of Mac OneNote local backup or the ability to backup/sync with iCloud or other cloud service (thus, forced OneDrive usage) has always been my only complaint.

    I consider OneNote "best of breed" in note-taking apps. Yet, for years, I have regularly tried every other note-taking application. I have done this due to my overarching fear that one day, OneDrive would fail, and my data would be lost. Now, with nearly two decades of data tucked away in OneNote, I cannot simply move to another application without an enormous expenditure of time. I've tried. Even still, no other application provides all of what OneNote delivers.

    Back to backups. The "backup solution" from Microsoft for Mac users has always been to use the OneNote web app to manually download a zipped notebook. I have dozens of notebooks, many of which I enter new data daily. To take the time from my schedule and daily remember to zip and wait for a download of every notebook is beyond unreasonable. Thus, when the developers announced a local backup solution for OneNote, I was more than glad.

    Of course, now for some unknown reason, not all Mac OneNote users have this new backup ability. Unfortunately, what this snafu also tempts me to ponder is the reliability of local backups when and if finally we do all have access. Microsoft does get many things right, yet, I do not think my uncertainty of the reliability of local backups is unwarranted.

    I understand new features can result in bugs, however the announcement and release of a new feature before fully testing the feature is irresponsible. That rush-to-market model of software development has been customary of Microsoft for well over a decade—the user base is the ultimate test bed.

    In the past, too many times, Microsoft released a new service, product, or feature set only to shutter it within a few years. I am tempted here to list the applications & services, and, of course, Windows Phone, and Microsoft stores that opened and then all closed. All that behavior does is create a culture of doubt.

    I am not against trials. I am against presenting new products & services and including heavy promotion to enlist a user base, only to later pull the rug out from under them. The style and manner of letdowns conducted by Microsoft could only continue from a position of arrogance or simple sloppiness. None of the much smaller tech companies I deal with put out services, applications, or products with the "bug" history of Microsoft.

    Lest anyone think this is sour grapes of a whiny, ungrateful newb, I have been in the computing world since the first iteration of DOS, a heavy Microsoft customer for more than 30 years, built computers, networks, did tech support, and am still heavily invested in tech.

    Yes, that manner of Microsoft unreliability is exactly why I eventually banished all Microsoft services, applications, and products (barring OneNote and forced OneDrive) and moved to Apple. While Apple has issues at times like any company, they have never been anything like what I have experienced with Microsoft. My secret desire for years now has been that Apple would build a OneNote contender.

    Well, enough early-morning rant; it is not directed at you, Igor. You have been responsive and helpful. In my opinion, you have far exceeded the type of help I have encountered too many times in the past from Microsoft. Again, thank you.

    I will re-visit this forum daily to see if any progress has been made. If the bug is repaired rapidly, and local backups function properly, I will gain a new respect for Microsoft. If it is not, I will maintain my present demeanor of "well...ya' know...it's Microsoft...."

    Thank you.

    dlant

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-04-23T17:50:31+00:00

    I just saw this update and searched for it and like you same problem. I'm on an iMac 2017 running Monterey 12.3.1; i7 so clearly this is a widespread issue. I suspect many people don't even know about this incredibly useful feature so are not looking. I stumbled upon it during another support call as for 2 months any files I embed via creating a link to Onedrive..those links don't work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-04-25T03:23:13+00:00

    Wow. From borderline elation tonight when I saw in App Store that this feature has (finally) been added -- I immediately downloaded the update on both my Macs: an intel iMac running Catalina 10.15.7 and a Mac Studio rocking the latest Monterey (12.3.1) -- to exasperation when "backups" was nowhere to be found in either of my updated 16.60 (I checked and triple-checked) OneNote apps.

    Is this new feature working for anyone?

    Like others here, I'm a great admirer of OneNote and use it religiously on all my desktop and mobile devices. I've also learned through bitter experience that you can never have enough backup options for your priceless data, and that the Cloud can sometimes sync errors ... or disasters ... leaving you with no reliable backup other than a local one.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-04-30T12:28:08+00:00

    I’m afraid that I also have the same problem on an Intel mac, and I have also tested this on a M1 mac with a fresh install.

    Thanks,

    Hiren

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments