Mac OneNote ver. 16.60 "Backups" does NOT show in Preferences

Anonymous
2022-04-15T23:57:37+00:00

PROBLEM

With the release of version 16.60, the Mac OneNote development team stated in the Mac App Store:

...Starting now, your notes on Mac will be automatically backed up on your Mac and not just in the cloud." "...go to OneNote preferences and select Backups. From there, you can customize your backup preferences and access your backed up notes."

The problem is there is no "Backups" section in preferences.

MY ACTIONS

I have uninstalled and reinstalled OneNote multiple times. Rebooted. Signed out and back into my Microsoft account. Nothing I have done has revealed the new Backups section.

I do not know if it makes any difference, but I am a license holder for Microsoft 365 Family edition of which OneNote is a part. I originally downloaded OneNote from the Microsoft site. Today, when I could not find "Backups," I uninstalled OneNote, and re-installed from the Mac App Store; that did not work either.

FOR THE RECORD

I'm a fanatical note-taker, organizational, planner, outliner type of person; OneNote is the best tool I have ever used. I have used OneNote daily since it was first released on Windows. I have gladly moved to Mac and continued to use the Mac version of OneNote. I have also regularly tried other note apps to see if there is anything better. By "better" what I actually mean is if there is another notes app as excellent as OneNote AND allows me to save my data locally. There has only been one contender and it is hardly supported anymore.

QUESTION

Does anybody have a solution?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2022-05-25T13:51:48+00:00

I am glad to report I received the Backups feature.

If you haven't yet received the Backups feature...

I suspect you will receive it in the near future. I wouldn't waste time to determine the cause of delay or to force the feature to appear.

  • April 16th, 2022, I saw in the App Store, the Devs announced the new Backups feature available
  • May 24th, 2022, I received the Backups feature
  • I have no idea why it took that long
  • I tried every tactic I know to force the Backups feature to appear--nothing worked. If it matters to you, look back in these posts and you'll find a post in which I listed everything I tried.

Backups works...

  • The Backups feature works quickly and well
  • I have not yet tried to restore data; I'll report my findings when I try it

Hope for the future...

Assuming the restore feature works properly, then my only hope for future abilities is to allow users their own local destination for backups. As of now, backups are forced to Microsoft's preset location, which is:

/Users/*your user name*/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.onenote.mac/Data/Library/Application Support/Microsoft User Data/OneNote/15.0/Backup

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-04-20T09:47:49+00:00

    Hi dlant,

     

    As two users mentioned they are using Mac with an M1 processor, instead of the Intel processor, from this official article: Use Office for Mac with Rosetta and Apple silicon (microsoft.com), we suggest that you could follow the steps in the article to use Office apps with Rosetta to see if you could see the backups option when open with emulation.

     

    Best regards,

    Igor

    Thanks for the reply Igor,

    I also tried using rosetta to open my onenote but it did not work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-04-20T09:40:24+00:00

    Igor,

    Thank you for the suggestion. I tried turning off Rosetta and also turning it back on; neither caused "Backups" to appear.

    Thank you,

    dlant

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-04-20T09:14:00+00:00

    Hi. I don't have this new feature either, but I have an iMac intel i5, Monterey 12.3.1. OneNote 16.60 (22041000)

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-04-20T03:41:39+00:00

    Hi dlant,

    As two users mentioned they are using Mac with an M1 processor, instead of the Intel processor, from this official article: Use Office for Mac with Rosetta and Apple silicon (microsoft.com), we suggest that you could follow the steps in the article to use Office apps with Rosetta to see if you could see the backups option when open with emulation.

    Best regards,

    Igor

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments