Copy/paste from Word to Whatsapp leads to pasting of text image, not text (Mac OS)

Anonymous
2022-05-24T15:45:52+00:00

Hello!

When I paste from MS Word to Whatsapp desktop version, the text doesn't paste. Instead, an image of the text appears. However if I copy and paste the text from apple notes or powerpoint, there's no issue. I can't figure out why this only happens in Word. Any suggestions? Thank you, Tyler

MacBook Pro running Mac OSBigSur 11.6.2

MS Word version 16.60

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | Other | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Jim G 134.1K Reputation points MVP
2022-05-26T02:34:56+00:00

Hi

Test to see if Word is copying text. Copy text in Word and switch to TextEdit and then paste. TextEdit can't display pictures, so if the text appears, then you know Word put text onto the clipboard. Try pasting in other apps, as well.

Word has no control over what WhatsApp does with the clipboard. Apparently WhatsApp is doing something odd with the clipboard.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-05-24T23:50:42+00:00

    Hello,

    Per the description shared, I understand the problem facing at your end and as per the version number shared, you are using the previous version of the Word application on Mac; so I suggest you update the Word application to the latest version and see whether this will resolve the problem.

    Close all your other Office apps except Word> Click on the Help in the Menu bar> Check for Updates

    Reference: Update Office for Mac automatically (microsoft.com)

    If you still encounter the same problem, I would like you to check whether you can copy the content in the Word document and paste it into a different app such as Apple Notes.

    In addition, as a workaround, you can upload the document to OneDrive and open the document in the browser to copy the content and paste it into Watsapp.

    Appreciate your understanding!!

    Best Regards,

    Mia

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-07-10T04:13:27+00:00

    I have a similar issue except there is nothing pasted to Whatsapp. It pastes fine to other applications, so it must be a WA issue. Using Mac Pro Big Sur also

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-07-20T15:54:35+00:00

    Hello Mia,

    I followed your instructions and did the update on Microsoft 365. I still can't copy a excerpt of a text from a Word document to whatsapp (Versión 2.2222.12). I can paste it on Apple Notes and other places, except whatsapp. This is weird since I could do it before, but I noticed this change today.

    Using MacOS Big Sur version 11.6

    Word version: 16.63.1

    Please help!

    Thank you.

    PS- Unfortunately uploading the document to OneDrive and copy the content to paste it on whatsapp is not a option for me since I need to copy stuff all the time from different Word documents to whatsapp, can't imagine uploading each and everyone first...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-07-21T06:13:47+00:00

    Hi,

    I encountered the same problem yesterday. I can't copy and paste from MS Word and PowerPoint to WhatsApp.

    My current workaround that works is:

    1. Copy and paste from Word to Apple Note
    2. Copy from Apple Noted
    3. Paste to WhatsApp

    I've also tried copying and pasting from Grammarly and Google Keep to WhatsApp, it's perfectly fine as well.

    This goes to show that the problem may not be with WhatsApp cos it allows text to be pasted from other apps (just not MS Words and PowerPoint).

    Hope the above helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments