Copy/paste from Word to Whatsapp leads to pasting of text image, not text (Mac OS)

Anonymous
2022-05-24T15:45:52+00:00

Hello!

When I paste from MS Word to Whatsapp desktop version, the text doesn't paste. Instead, an image of the text appears. However if I copy and paste the text from apple notes or powerpoint, there's no issue. I can't figure out why this only happens in Word. Any suggestions? Thank you, Tyler

MacBook Pro running Mac OSBigSur 11.6.2

MS Word version 16.60

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | Other | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Jim G 134.1K Reputation points MVP
2022-05-26T02:34:56+00:00

Hi

Test to see if Word is copying text. Copy text in Word and switch to TextEdit and then paste. TextEdit can't display pictures, so if the text appears, then you know Word put text onto the clipboard. Try pasting in other apps, as well.

Word has no control over what WhatsApp does with the clipboard. Apparently WhatsApp is doing something odd with the clipboard.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-08-27T15:09:08+00:00

    Weird. I'm sorry that didn't work for you. After I saw your reply I tried it again. Used Chrome and went to WhatsApp.com and clicked on WhatsApp Web. I copied something from MS Word but it wouldn't paste into WhatsApp. So I opened up Safari and repeated the same steps. My copy from MS Word copied right in. Hopefully you will find something that works for you. I know it is very frustrating and I have no idea why it happens, or even why it works with Safari but not with Chrome.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-08-27T14:53:52+00:00

    I'm afraid that it doesn't make sense to me.

    I am using the WhatsApp application for Mac (version 2.2230.15) which was downloaded from the Apple App Store so the browser - Chrome or Safari is not relevant to the App.

    Furthermore. Based on your advice I used the Safari browser to download an application for Mac from the WhatsApp website. The problem still exists.

    In short, I'm back to square one.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-08-27T10:22:23+00:00

    I tried WhatsApp help and no love. But I did find what may be the problem, at least it was for me. I was using WhatsApp Web on Chrome. When I switched back to Safari guess what? I works seemlessly!!! I can copy from ms word and paste into WhatsApp with no problems. So, if you are using a mac just try going back to using Safari and see if that works for you. I only switched from Safari to Chrome because it was recommended to me to do so. I actually prefer Safari.

    Thanks all for your responses!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-08-27T07:18:46+00:00

    I have a similar problem on Mac, using MacOS Monterey. Everything is fully updated. Can't paste anything from Word or Powerpoint to WhatsApp Desktop. Has anyone contacted WhatsApp help?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments