Time & Attendance Access - Need to summarize data as of a specific date

Anonymous
2022-07-26T17:49:06+00:00

I have a db that maintains all employee's pto, adjustments, etc. in a single table.

Both time already taken and pre-scheduled time are logged in the same column (Date Absent).

The other 2 columns used will be Vac Hrs | Management Adj

I need to create a query/report that prompts for a specific date (dialog box entry) that will then look at 3 columns of data: Date Absent | Vac Hrs | Management Adj and find all transactions through that specific date (Date Absent) and total them (vac hrs, mgmnt adj) for each employee.

I already use the subtotal query to track everything logged but I now need to pull only some data.

Thank you - Leslie

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For business | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2022-07-28T00:40:05+00:00

I may be overlooking something, but it seems the SQL order of statements is incorrect. GROUP should be after WHERE

SELECT EmployeeID, Sum(Attendance.VacHrs) AS TotalHrs
FROM Attendance
GROUP BY EmployeeID
WHERE DateAbsent Between Forms!StartEnd!txtStart AND Forms!StartEnd!txtEnd;

Proper order would be

SELECT column_name(s)
FROM table_name
WHERE condition
GROUP BY column_name(s)
ORDER BY column_name(s);

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
ScottGem 68,845 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2022-08-05T20:16:41+00:00

What is {Through Date]? is it the date you enter into the form? If so then it should be

>=[Forms]![StartEnd-CONV]![txtEnd]

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
ScottGem 68,845 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2022-08-03T17:00:47+00:00

Are you building your queries using Query Design mode or just writing SQL Statements?

If using Design Mode, then you enter < [Forms]![StartEnd-CONV]![txtEnd] in the WHERE row for the date column.

If writing SQL code, you have to include it in the WHERE clause of your query.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

38 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-07-28T20:53:52+00:00

    Hi Scott - so far so good but I am having an issue with query criteria.

    I have a query field "Separation Date" that is either blank or contains a date. I have another field "Through Date" where a date (any date) resides.

    I want the query to pull all the rows where "Separation Date" is both NULL or contains a date >= then that of the "Through Date". I cannot seem to get the correct for both criteria.

    In other words I don't want to pull in info on anyone who has separated prior to the Through Date.

    Thanks so much. Leslie

    PS - the "Through Date" is a date I enter and it is the same for all rows of data.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. ScottGem 68,845 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-07-28T19:41:22+00:00

    Look forward to helping you further with this project.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments