Word Dictate keeps inserting the word 'open'

Anonymous
2022-10-20T18:57:38+00:00

A few days ago, Microsoft Word started randomly inserting the word ‘open’ into what I speak. I never say that word, it just automatically appears. I've looked through all the threads about similar issues in the past with words like ‘hey’ and have followed every single suggestion in those threads, including reinstalling Word. Nothing has worked. Most of the threads were from 2020 but I never saw if there was a final resolution. I've been using dictate and this version of Word for over a year now and have not had any issues until a few days ago. Please advise.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | Other | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-01-04T20:00:37+00:00

Hi CKGhostwriter!

Sorry for the delayed response.

We've just deployed a change that should fix the "open" issue. If you are still using the product, it would be great if you could use the dictation feature again to see that it fixed your problem. (Although deployment sometimes takes a few days).

If within the next week, you still don't see a fix, please report the issue through the office app with Help>Feedback. If you include the word "dictation" in your feedback, someone on the team should be reviewing your feedback in a timely manner.

This goes for anyone else reading this with the same issue.

Sorry about the experience. We are working hard to make it better for everyone!

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-10-25T16:33:23+00:00

    Attached are two examples. In example 1, the word "open" popped up at the end of a sentence. In example 2, it popped up in the middle of me trying to type the word "Even." The word "open" pops up in the middle of words or sentences multiple times per page. It seems to happen most often when I pause in speaking for more than a moment, but sometimes it happens when I am speaking.

    As you can see, the word "open" is grayed out, as if it is predictive text waiting to be selected. Sometimes it will go away if I pause, and other times it turns black as if I selected it. There does not seem to be any pattern to which one happens. This started within the past week. Once it became clear that it was not going to stop happening, I searched "Microsoft Word inserting the word open" and saw that someone else had already opened a thread on this exact issue. It seems pretty clear that it's a Microsoft issue and not a user issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-10-25T16:42:41+00:00

    this happens every other sentence

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-10-25T19:07:06+00:00

    I have tried both and I'm actually pretty happy with both of them. As I said, the functionality is a bit lighter—for example, doing a drop cap can be a pain, and working with a TOC is a bit challenging—but the important functionality is there when it comes to producing a manuscript. It looks like it will be fairly easy to do the bulk of my work on my Chromebook, then just suck it up if I have to use the full version of Word to do anything. The best news for me is if I'm still happy with this after a month or so, and I think I will be, I can cancel my subscription to Microsoft 365!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-11-05T14:56:02+00:00

    I see that there's been no resolution. Shocker. Anyhow, in addition to the "open" issue, Microsoft Word is now randomly inserting the word "YouTube" into my documents as well... which I find absolutely hysterical, considering YouTube is owned by Google/Alphabet.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments