Word Dictate keeps inserting the word 'open'

Anonymous
2022-10-20T18:57:38+00:00

A few days ago, Microsoft Word started randomly inserting the word ‘open’ into what I speak. I never say that word, it just automatically appears. I've looked through all the threads about similar issues in the past with words like ‘hey’ and have followed every single suggestion in those threads, including reinstalling Word. Nothing has worked. Most of the threads were from 2020 but I never saw if there was a final resolution. I've been using dictate and this version of Word for over a year now and have not had any issues until a few days ago. Please advise.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | Other | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-01-04T20:00:37+00:00

Hi CKGhostwriter!

Sorry for the delayed response.

We've just deployed a change that should fix the "open" issue. If you are still using the product, it would be great if you could use the dictation feature again to see that it fixed your problem. (Although deployment sometimes takes a few days).

If within the next week, you still don't see a fix, please report the issue through the office app with Help>Feedback. If you include the word "dictation" in your feedback, someone on the team should be reviewing your feedback in a timely manner.

This goes for anyone else reading this with the same issue.

Sorry about the experience. We are working hard to make it better for everyone!

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-11-20T20:11:26+00:00

    I have same fustrating problem. It ruins the dications. It messes thing up everytime. I am pulling my hair out I can't use speech to text anymore.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-11-20T03:56:40+00:00

    I am having the same problem with the word OPEN

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-11-07T18:36:46+00:00

    Another update: I've switched to Google Docs for everything but I still have a couple of manuscripts in Word that I have been trying to update there. The 'open' insertion issue has apparently escalated and has rapidly gotten worse. Now it seems like the word 'open' is being inserted into my document with every other sentence I speak. That has absolutely murdered my productivity. I will definitely be canceling my Microsoft 365 subscription this week since it's quite clear Microsoft doesn't care to correct the problem. Google Docs has been amazing and I have plenty of other places I can put that $8 a month.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-11-05T14:56:02+00:00

    I see that there's been no resolution. Shocker. Anyhow, in addition to the "open" issue, Microsoft Word is now randomly inserting the word "YouTube" into my documents as well... which I find absolutely hysterical, considering YouTube is owned by Google/Alphabet.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments