Word Dictate keeps inserting the word 'open'

Anonymous
2022-10-20T18:57:38+00:00

A few days ago, Microsoft Word started randomly inserting the word ‘open’ into what I speak. I never say that word, it just automatically appears. I've looked through all the threads about similar issues in the past with words like ‘hey’ and have followed every single suggestion in those threads, including reinstalling Word. Nothing has worked. Most of the threads were from 2020 but I never saw if there was a final resolution. I've been using dictate and this version of Word for over a year now and have not had any issues until a few days ago. Please advise.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | Other | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-01-04T20:00:37+00:00

Hi CKGhostwriter!

Sorry for the delayed response.

We've just deployed a change that should fix the "open" issue. If you are still using the product, it would be great if you could use the dictation feature again to see that it fixed your problem. (Although deployment sometimes takes a few days).

If within the next week, you still don't see a fix, please report the issue through the office app with Help>Feedback. If you include the word "dictation" in your feedback, someone on the team should be reviewing your feedback in a timely manner.

This goes for anyone else reading this with the same issue.

Sorry about the experience. We are working hard to make it better for everyone!

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-12-01T02:42:08+00:00

    Hi, developer on Dictation here.

    Sorry it took a while for all of your feedback to get to us. We are not very good at monitoring this forum but we are much better at monitoring direct feedback sent through our built-in feedback system. How do I give feedback on Microsoft 365? - Microsoft Support (as mentioned by Charles a few posts back). TLDR: In your office app, go to help>feedback. Please help us be better in the future by voicing your concerns through our feedback system. If the word "dictation" is mentioned, it gets filtered to our team and someone from our team will be reading through all the feedback.

    That said. Can you help us get a better understanding of what you are experiencing? Screenshots like the ones CKGhostWriter uploaded are really helpful for us to see what you are seeing. Other things that are helpful for us are things like: what operating system you are using, which app(s) are you experiencing this in, which version/release of Office you are using (What version of Office am I using? - Microsoft Support), what language/locale you were dictating in, and anything else that you think might be able to help us reproduce the problem on our end. We actually would most appreciate a video of what this looks like on your end, but I also know videos are more time consuming and everyone is so busy with everything already.

    After reading everyone's posts, I'm trying to figure out whether the word "Open" appears in Grey or Black on your screen. Grey coloured text indicates that the text is in something we call "intermediate stage", where we are still working on recognizing the phrase that was just spoken but it's not quite finalized. That grey text should turn into black text - which we call "finalized text" - once we have finished calculations. From the screenshots, "Open" definitely happens in Grey text but it also seems like there are instances where the word "Open" will be committed to finalized text. It would be good to get an understanding of whether the mouse was used, the keyboard was used, or if just waiting will turn a grey coloured "open" into a black coloured "open".

    I'm sorry this is so frustrating for everyone, but we are trying hard to narrow down which part of the pipeline could have caused this issue so we can fix it for everyone.

    Thanks everyone for your patience.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-11-26T22:04:28+00:00

    I called Microsoft support. It is a known problem. They want me to reset my web mail application password. I have not done that yet. They found I had some corrupted files which were removed I have this problem in both Outlook and Word. The problem is unresolved. I suggest you call Microsoft support if you have an Office 365 subscription. I will continue working on the problem until it is resolved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-11-26T19:22:48+00:00

    Right, because that's why a million other threads have responses on behalf of MS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-11-26T18:31:37+00:00

    I am also having the same problem. Even when it's just sitting while I'm saying absolutely nothing, it adds "open" - and many times if I'm stopping to go to a different spot in the form, it adds it at the end before I can switch it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments