MS Access Memory Issue

Anonymous
2022-12-19T15:00:24+00:00

Programming in Access 365 but it is a 32-bit access front end with a SQL Express backend. Been using this database for years with no issues. All of a sudden starting approx. last Monday 12/12/2022 we started getting out of memory errors on the client side. Users started getting it randomly over 2 or 3 days as if it was an update.

If I open the database and watch task manager, as I open forms and close them, I see the memory usage go up when the form is opened as expected but it never goes back down to where it started from when the form is closed. We have a few form timers that run code every 2 to 5 minutes and the same thing happens, memory usage goes up when the timer triggers but when the code finishes the memory is not released.

I have run CHECKDB on the SQL Express tables, I have also run a SQL Shrink Database. On the front end, I have decompiled the database, run a compact and repair and then recompiled it.

I have been able to reproduce the issue on a computer at my house with a different access database. This database is a 64-bit database with access tables not SQL. The same thing happens, when I open forms then close them the memory usage does not return to the amount before the form was open, always just a little higher until I get the error message.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-01-11T01:46:24+00:00

    @Karl - Yes, on your advice, I rolled back to Version 2210 (Build 15726.20202). I repeated the same test and found that the problem was resolved. In fact, running these make table queries does not cause Access.exe to consume any additional memory.

    I then rolled forward to Version 2211 (Build 15831.20190). I repeated the same test and found that the problem returned.

    This seems to confirm that the problem emerged in version 2211.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-01-10T22:36:33+00:00

    Hi,

    > We're getting the two errors noted in my post, but "system resources exceeded".

    I guess this should be "but not...". So, your error message is a bit different.

    Do you have the possibility to revert to version 2210 on a machine and check that the problem does not occur?

    This would be an important test to determine that it is an update problem caused by 2011 as reported by others.

    Servus

    Karl

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-01-10T19:56:27+00:00

    Thanks....I believe it's the same deal. Yes it is affecting access only. If the user closes the program it starts over but eventually runs out again.

    Keep me posted.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-01-10T19:42:56+00:00

    I think you nailed it. Are you getting system resources exceeded also?

    Keep me posted if you get with MS.

    @SKIRK_70 - We're getting the two errors noted in my post, but "system resources exceeded". The issue is limited to Microsoft Access and does not impact any other Windows/system functions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-01-10T18:57:02+00:00

    I think you nailed it. Are you getting system resources exceeded also?

    Keep me posted if you get with MS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments