MS Access Memory Issue

Anonymous
2022-12-19T15:00:24+00:00

Programming in Access 365 but it is a 32-bit access front end with a SQL Express backend. Been using this database for years with no issues. All of a sudden starting approx. last Monday 12/12/2022 we started getting out of memory errors on the client side. Users started getting it randomly over 2 or 3 days as if it was an update.

If I open the database and watch task manager, as I open forms and close them, I see the memory usage go up when the form is opened as expected but it never goes back down to where it started from when the form is closed. We have a few form timers that run code every 2 to 5 minutes and the same thing happens, memory usage goes up when the timer triggers but when the code finishes the memory is not released.

I have run CHECKDB on the SQL Express tables, I have also run a SQL Shrink Database. On the front end, I have decompiled the database, run a compact and repair and then recompiled it.

I have been able to reproduce the issue on a computer at my house with a different access database. This database is a 64-bit database with access tables not SQL. The same thing happens, when I open forms then close them the memory usage does not return to the amount before the form was open, always just a little higher until I get the error message.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-02-18T15:09:57+00:00

    Good morning,

    I came to this post as we are experiencing a similar issue, however our clients are using and MS Access DB as backend. We are noticing exceptionally high RAM in certain client's Access App.

    We have verified and this occurs in version 2301 Build 16.0.16026.20196. We have verified with clients example using Version 2111 Build 16.0.14701.20204 and they are not experiencing the same issue.

    We suspect that running queries for reports and then closing them does not free up the ram used.

    Anyone else experiencing that?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-01-30T21:26:21+00:00

    Hi Scott,

    Curious if you know when the monthly channel will be updated?

    I have passed your question on to someone in charge. His answer:

    The fix will be in Version 2212 when it is released for Monthly Enterprise Channel on February 14th.

    Servus

    Karl

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-01-30T13:57:02+00:00

    I have updated our computers and it appears to be fixed for us also. Thank you to everyone who assisted Microsoft with finding the issue and thank you to Microsoft for fixing it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-01-30T13:49:49+00:00

    I have updated and the issue is resolved!!! My version after the update is 2301 16026.20002.

    Karl, thank you so much for all the help with this! Curious if you know when the monthly channel will be updated?

    Thanks again!

    Scott

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-01-29T02:46:01+00:00

    I updated to Version 2212 (Build 15928.20216), tested, and confirm that the issue seems to be resolved.

    Thanks to everyone who helped to identify and resolve this issue in a timely manner!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments