Access Broken today 10th May 2022

Anonymous
2022-05-10T19:32:07+00:00

I had a call from one of my users today to say his database was just closing down as he clicked a button.

I got his front and back end files and ran them on a PC with Office 2010, they worked fine, but his Office 365 has been updated today and he has the problem on all his PC's.

I tried the front/backend files on two PC's I have that are running Office 365 and they too have the same issue.

It seems like Microsoft has broken things.

Is anyone else having issues after today's update?

Regards, Dennis

UPDATE: This mentions that the recent Office 365 update fixes problems in Excel, Outlook and Word, what it does not mention is that it broke Access! https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-365-apps-build-1512820224-resolves-issues-with-excel-outlook-and-word/

UPDATE 2:

I managed to program around the main issue I was having, however I have just seen messages to say Microsoft have fixed it, I just tried the original database and it seems to be working fine. Thanks to everyone who posted their experiences here, it was very helpful.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | Other | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-05-11T14:46:55+00:00

    I have further information which may help to understand the problem.

    My application has a client form and a bookings form. The client form has a subform with a list of that client's booking. The user can "drill down" from the client form to see the details of a booking on the booking form. When they do that, the application closes the client form and then opens the bookings form.

    The following error message is displayed as soon as the bookings form is displayed:

    The object doesn't contain the Automation object 'Blacklisted.'

    The client form also has a function to create a new booking for the client. In this case, the application closes the client form and opens the booking form in data entry mode to create a new record.

    When they do that, Access emits a beep (as if it is displaying an error message) but no message dialog is displayed. It then crashes.

    Now what is of interest is that I have no objects/properties in the database called "Blacklisted". None. There are no fields, forms, controls or anything else called Blacklisted. However I do have a field on the client form called Blacklist and a client is considered to be "blacklisted" if that field is set.

    So I used Brent Spaulding's excellent SearchForText utility ( https://www.utteraccess.com/topics/1992076 ) to search my database for "Blacklisted" and found a conditional format expression [Blacklisted] on the client name field of the client form. It is supposed to show blacklisted clients in red text.

    NOTE: This is the form which is closing. The object name does not exist anywhere else in the database.

    What this means is that once upon a time the Blacklist field was called Blacklisted and when it was renamed, the conditional format expression was not updated. As a result the conditional formatting is causing an error because it has a bad expression. However errors in conditional formatting expressions do not always surface, they just fail to cause the conditional formatting to be applied.

    I removed the conditional formatting expression, and hence the source of the error.

    Now when I drill down to the booking form, the following error is displayed:

    No Current Record

    (sound familiar?)

    When I create a new booking record, the following error is displayed:

    The Microsoft Access database engine does not recognize 'ContextListFill' as a valid field name or expression.

    The system no longer crashes.

    Now "ContextListFill" is a combo box filler function used as the ControlSource of a combo on both the closing client form and the opening booking form. Instead of crashing, Access appears to be displaying some other miscellaneous message about the closing form.

    What is significant here is that this shows:

    1. The error message is being displayed by Access as it closes a form. it is clearly trying to requery/refresh the dying form as it closes.
    2. If Access cannot handle an error which occurs as the form closes, it crashes.

    The crash appears to be Access's equivalent of us getting a Continue/Debug/End dialog in VBA if we don't handle a runtime error properly.

    Although this is not a solution, it is a workaround which has allowed me to downgrade the severity of the error from a system crash to an irritating error message. I hope this information helps others to workaround the problem while Microsoft work on a fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-05-11T15:11:58+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-05-11T15:30:33+00:00

    The workaround to use RecordsetClone instead of Recordset does not apply in my case. I have always used the RecordsetClone method.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-05-11T17:26:33+00:00

    Problem started today, version 2204. I can reproduce very easily:

    • create a new database
    • create a table
    • create a form on the table
    • add code to the form load event: Debug.Print Me.Recordset.Recordcount

    Seems that any access to form's recordset in VBA causes problems.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-05-11T18:20:36+00:00

    PaulRoss_499 That's interesting.

    I found that I had code in a forms open event that used

    Me.Recordset.FindFirst "lngRecordID = " & lngRecordToJumpTo

    I have replaced that with

      Dim recClone As Recordset 
    
      Set rst = Me.RecordsetClone 
    
      recClone.FindFirst "lngRecordID = " & lngRecordToJumpTo 
    
      Me.Bookmark = recClone.Bookmark 
    
      recClone.Close 
    
      Set recClone = Nothing
    

    It now works without crashing as that form is closed, however, when I close the main form that closes the database I now get "No Current Record"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments