Microsoft Word M365 - Specific Page/Custom Range Printing Issue

Anonymous
2021-09-09T01:45:57+00:00

Hi all,

I've looked through almost every Microsoft Community forum and Google'd almost every link however, I can't seem to find a proper solution for this issue.

My client has recently encountered problems with printing multi-section documents.

For example:

a document with 3 sections, 10 pages each. I want to print pages from 5 to 15.

Print >Settings > [Custom Print] > Pages: 5-15 > Print. Done.

That always worked but it stopped now. The pages are not printed at all and there is no error message nor anything else.

The only solution I've found so far is to specify section numbers like p5s1-p15s2. But this was never the case with any of the documents and only started occurring 06/09/2021. I do understand the technical functionality of specifying the section numbers if it contains section breaks however, selecting custom print for a specific page or page range worked nevertheless even if it contained sections.

The current version that's being used is Microsoft® Word 2016 MSO (16.0.14326.20238) 32-Bit.

For further troubleshooting I've downgraded to the below versions but haven't had any luck:

  • 16.0.14228.20250
  • 16.0.14228.20226
  • 16.0.14228.20204
  • 16.0.14131.20332

Any help would be much appreciated!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-09-21T22:33:54+00:00

Finally! I've been having this issue for a month now and this fixed it. For English speakers, the fix is:

File -> Options -> Display -> Update Fields Before Printing

Thanks again Romain, you saved me lots of money and time!

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2021-10-14T22:30:39+00:00

The issue has been fixed in the latest update of Office. Version 2109 ( Build 14430.20270)

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2021-10-08T04:39:52+00:00

Try updating your Office installation.

I have received advice that the issue should be fixed in Version 2109, Builds 14430.20160 or greater. I just updated and am now on Version 2109, Build 14430.20270.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-10-18T16:38:54+00:00

    The issue has been fixed in the latest update of Office. Version 2109 ( Build 14430.20270)

    Hey Doug,

    I have a document which still exhibits this issue on versions of Word including 14430.20270 and later.
    Specifically tested:

    • Current channel Version 2109 Build 14430.20270 (manually downgraded)
    • Current channel Version 2109 Build 14430.20292
    • Preview channel Version 2110 Build 14527.20128
    • Beta Channel Version 2111 Build 14609.20000

    The document has multiple sections in it, but does not have page numbers in the header or footer, and the previously provided workaround ("Update fields before printing") does not appear to work around the issue either. The only workaround that does work, as mentioned in the OP, is to manually input the page number relative to its section (i.e. use "p2s3-p4s3" rather than "40-42").

    Is there any word on engineers still working on this issue, or any additional information I could provide to help squash this bug?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-10-14T11:08:23+00:00

    Thank you Romain, this worked for me to. I had "Page x of y" in my footer, and changing the setting as you suggested fixed the printing problem for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments