Word randomly jumping to end of document and also opening 'save as' (Word for Windows)

Anonymous
2021-07-22T08:40:50+00:00

I'm just after some advice please. I am an academic editor and use Word 2016 professionally. I use track changes for every document. However, I have found that in many cases - probably 75% - I will be working on a document and the cursor will suddenly jump to the last page. This is incredibly annoying. I have discovered that this doesn't happen when I set it to 'view all markup', but I can't edit very easily when I can see all the changes so this is not an appropriate solution. Please note this is NOT the same issue that other users have had with the cursor jumping to the end after pressing 'enter' - that can be fixed in Page Setup and is not the same problem I am experiencing.

Another issue which may or may not be related is that the 'save as' box will also randomly pop up. I am definitely not accidentally pressing the shortcut as it happens when I'm typing or just when moving the cursor along the text using the arrow keys.

This has been happening for around a year now and at first I thought it was a bug that would be patched in later updates, but this hasn't happened. I have repaired the program with no success. Any advice would be most appreciated!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-01-20T19:20:23+00:00

    Thank you! I continue to have the problem, which is on my last nerve. I am constantly closing and re-opening Word because this is only one of two major issues I've been experiencing for quite some time now. The other, even more frequent issue is that at random times in every manuscript, I am unable to highlight text with my cursor (as you do to move or delete sections, etc.) unless I'm in full mark-up mode, which I DO NOT work in as a professional editor. Closing and re-opening the doc fixes this for a little while... until it happens again a couple of hours later. >:<

    As I said in a previous post, it really feels like MS is trying to get us to work only in mark-up mode. I know that's paranoid, but that's how it feels! Before anyone suggests that the keyboard is involved in either of these issues, they both happen when all I've done is use my cursor, and it only happens in Word.

    I wish someone would take us seriously and remedy these bugs!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-01-20T19:29:46+00:00

    There are seven options listed in the link. Which one worked in dealing with the cursor jump?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-01-20T19:50:11+00:00

    None of them.

    Even a brand new install of Word on a brand new computer has the same issue.

    My point was that it's not limited to CTRL, SHIFT, ALT, or arrow-key navigations.

    At this point I'm investigating non-Word options. The unpredictability of the problem makes it unreasonably difficult to troubleshoot, and the Microsoft help agents don't seem to understand that "it hasn't happened in the last 30 seconds" does not mean "the problem is fixed." I can continue to throw my valuable time into a black hole chasing a problem that MS doesn't seem to care about because it doesn't affect the average casual user, or I can find a solution that involves "not Microsoft."

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-01-21T06:38:33+00:00

    Apply 2 or 3 of them and check it out. I did it like this. One of them worked but I don't know which.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-02-01T12:01:12+00:00

    I'm having this exact problem. I'm an editor/proofreader and the cursor keeps jumping to the end of the document when I'm in track changes, but not when all markup is selected, which is really frustrating because I don't work in all markup, it's too distracting and messy. This is obviously a glitch rather than something on my computer because the same happens on both my mac and my windows PC. Any solutions people have found? Microsoft, are you working on this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments