Word randomly jumping to end of document and also opening 'save as' (Word for Windows)

Anonymous
2021-07-22T08:40:50+00:00

I'm just after some advice please. I am an academic editor and use Word 2016 professionally. I use track changes for every document. However, I have found that in many cases - probably 75% - I will be working on a document and the cursor will suddenly jump to the last page. This is incredibly annoying. I have discovered that this doesn't happen when I set it to 'view all markup', but I can't edit very easily when I can see all the changes so this is not an appropriate solution. Please note this is NOT the same issue that other users have had with the cursor jumping to the end after pressing 'enter' - that can be fixed in Page Setup and is not the same problem I am experiencing.

Another issue which may or may not be related is that the 'save as' box will also randomly pop up. I am definitely not accidentally pressing the shortcut as it happens when I'm typing or just when moving the cursor along the text using the arrow keys.

This has been happening for around a year now and at first I thought it was a bug that would be patched in later updates, but this hasn't happened. I have repaired the program with no success. Any advice would be most appreciated!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-07-26T17:50:05+00:00

    Hi Lola1980,

    Thanks for the update. Keep us updated if your same issue still persist on new device.

    Sincerely,

    Kathy A.

    Consumer M365 Forum Moderator

    Microsoft Community

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-07-26T18:06:53+00:00

    Hi LeventGoktem,

    Thank you for posting your concern and welcome to Microsoft Community.

    We would like to suggest launching Office Word in safe mode and turning off add-ins, just like the suggestion of Stefan Blom.

    Thank you for raising your concern about the recent update of Windows 10. May we ask if you are also experiencing printing issues? If yes, let us know the Windows Edition, Version and OS build so we can address this concern.

    We look forward to your response and you can get back to us by replying to this post.

    Sincerely,

    Kathy A.

    Consumer M365 Forum Moderator

    Microsoft Community

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-07-27T06:41:18+00:00

    I made a repair, then, uninstalled and re-installed Office 2016.
    I tried different keyboards. I copied and pasted the content to a new document.

    None of them worked.

    The common thing when this happens that I observe I am pressing my right finger on right Shift key on keyboard. By the way, I listed and removed all shortcut key combinations that can open save as box in Word 2016.

    PS: No problem with printing.

    Windows 10 Home Single Language,

    21H1,

    19043.1110

    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

    PS 2: My main keyboard is Logitech G613 wireless mechanical keyboard.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-07-27T09:53:38+00:00

    I have been using Word 2016 in Safe Mode for a few hours and experienced no problem. However, yesterday I used it in normal mode and experienced no problem, too. I will continue in Safe Mode. Let's wait and see.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-07-27T16:01:00+00:00

    Hi LeventGoktem,

    Thanks for the update! We appreciate that you shared to us the troubleshooting especially launching Word in safe mode that you have performed to get this resolve. Also for confirming you are currently having no printing issues. We would like to ask for few details, kindly answer them so we can isolate the issue further:

    1. Are you also having issues with the cursor jumping to the end of the document?
    2. Is this issue happens when editing or creating a specific kind of document (e.g., documents that may embed pictures or videos, or using the Draft or Web layout)?
    3. Based on our experience, there are (not limited to and will depend on the user) three ways to open the save as prompt in Microsoft Word. Let us know if you might have done or pressed similar keys on the keyboard. a. In an open document in Microsoft Word. Normally you can open save as prompt by selecting File tab > Save or Save as. Or select the Save button at the Quick Access Toolbar (location and arrangement depends on the user) by default can be seen at the top leftmost of the document. Image b. In an open document in Microsoft Word. Kindly long press Alt and you will notice small characters (number or letter) under each tabs on the ribbon. If you long press Alt and press by sequence not simultaneously - F (opens File tab), A (selects Save As) and O (opens Browse for the prompt) these steps depends on the user and prompts you see in Word). The prompt of save as opens (see attach screenshot). c. Press the key/s available here: File > Options > Customized Ribbon > On Keyboard shortcuts select Customize > Look for File tab on Categories > look for FileSaveAs in Commands Box > check on Current Keys (this will depend on the user or add-ins installed and was by default F12). FileSave by default had Ctrl + S, Shift + F12, and Alt+Shift+F2. Image

    We look forward to your response.

    Sincerely,

    Kathy A.

    Consumer M365 Forum Moderator

    Microsoft Community

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments