Word randomly jumping to end of document and also opening 'save as' (Word for Windows)

Anonymous
2021-07-22T08:40:50+00:00

I'm just after some advice please. I am an academic editor and use Word 2016 professionally. I use track changes for every document. However, I have found that in many cases - probably 75% - I will be working on a document and the cursor will suddenly jump to the last page. This is incredibly annoying. I have discovered that this doesn't happen when I set it to 'view all markup', but I can't edit very easily when I can see all the changes so this is not an appropriate solution. Please note this is NOT the same issue that other users have had with the cursor jumping to the end after pressing 'enter' - that can be fixed in Page Setup and is not the same problem I am experiencing.

Another issue which may or may not be related is that the 'save as' box will also randomly pop up. I am definitely not accidentally pressing the shortcut as it happens when I'm typing or just when moving the cursor along the text using the arrow keys.

This has been happening for around a year now and at first I thought it was a bug that would be patched in later updates, but this hasn't happened. I have repaired the program with no success. Any advice would be most appreciated!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-07-22T23:02:11+00:00

    Hi Lola1980!

    Welcome to Microsoft Office Community Forum. Thank you for sharing your concern with us today and we hope that all is well.

    We understand that you are trying to edit your Microsoft Word documents and is unable to because your cursor seems to jump to the end of the document and saving prompts appear out of nowhere. Let’s us check on this together and sort this out. Rest assured, we will do anything in our capability to assist you with your concern.

    To our understanding, you have been experiencing this issue for a year already and we cannot imagine how you managed to edit and use Office Word. This problem normally occurs due to an issue with keyboard or mouse and might be the application also needs repair in which we need to further isolate your case.  

    We’d like to know more about it in details so that we can provide a more accurate resolution for you. To start, please provide us information/answer on the following questions:

    1. We would like to confirm your device build. In Windows settings, please select System. Please look for About and provide to us your Windows specifications. See attached screenshot for guide:
    2. What Office license are you using? To check that, open Word, click onFile tab > Office Account.
    3. Are you experiencing same issue on other applications (such as Excel, browsers and paint)?
    4. Did you recently or a year ago changed your mouse or keyboard?
    5. We would like to ask for a screen recording, kindly send us here on reply. See here for guide: Record your screen in PowerPoint

    We look forward to your response. If you have other clarifications about this matter, you can get back to us by replying to this post.

    Sincerely,

    Kathy Agn

    Consumer M365 Forum Moderator

    Microsoft Community

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-07-26T07:04:16+00:00

    Copy and paste all the content to a blank, new document. It might help.
    I, too, have the "save as" problem and the only solution that worked is this.

    I even installed a keylogger to see what key presses open the save as box but

    there was none. What opens save as box is not a key press combination.
    Maybe it's a glitch in auto save feature.

    Recently, because of a Windows 10 update, millions of users experienced

    a printing problem. That caused many troubles. Maybe save as problem is similar

    to that one, a general update problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-07-26T07:55:57+00:00

    Thanks so much for your response. I am actually upgrading to a new laptop today, so I will wait and see if the problems persist with the new spec and with reinstalling Office. If so, I will respond with all of the info you've requested. Thanks again!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-07-26T07:59:26+00:00

    Hi, thanks for your reply. With smaller files I have done just that - copied them into another file. However, this needs to be done carefully as simply ctrl+a and copying that way also seems to copy whatever formatting error this is. Plus, many of my files are PhD theses and are very large with tracked changes from several people, which makes copying into another file much more tricky. Not ideal! I'm getting a new laptop today so fingers crossed that a whole new install solves the issue!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2021-07-26T08:42:30+00:00

    There is an issue with a jumping cursor which is NOT related to the vertical alignment; I have reported it to Microsoft and some (temporary) workarounds have been suggested in this forum. Double-check the thread at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-mso_win10-mso_o365b/word-screen-jumps-after-saving-in-web-layout-and/074b2ed2-aca5-49e9-9f78-2d6adf721935 to find out if this could be the same issue you are experiencing.

    The other issue, with the Save As dialog box, could be caused by an add-in. See if the issue goes away in Safe mode. To start in that mode, follow the instructions at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/open-office-apps-in-safe-mode-on-a-windows-pc-dedf944a-5f4b-4afb-a453-528af4f7ac72.

    Safe mode is for troubleshooting, only. If it works around the issue (temporarily, for a Word session running in Safe mode), continue troubleshooting COM and Startup add-ins as discussed in the article at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/troubleshoot/word/issues-when-start-or-use-word.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments