Word randomly jumping to end of document and also opening 'save as' (Word for Windows)

Anonymous
2021-07-22T08:40:50+00:00

I'm just after some advice please. I am an academic editor and use Word 2016 professionally. I use track changes for every document. However, I have found that in many cases - probably 75% - I will be working on a document and the cursor will suddenly jump to the last page. This is incredibly annoying. I have discovered that this doesn't happen when I set it to 'view all markup', but I can't edit very easily when I can see all the changes so this is not an appropriate solution. Please note this is NOT the same issue that other users have had with the cursor jumping to the end after pressing 'enter' - that can be fixed in Page Setup and is not the same problem I am experiencing.

Another issue which may or may not be related is that the 'save as' box will also randomly pop up. I am definitely not accidentally pressing the shortcut as it happens when I'm typing or just when moving the cursor along the text using the arrow keys.

This has been happening for around a year now and at first I thought it was a bug that would be patched in later updates, but this hasn't happened. I have repaired the program with no success. Any advice would be most appreciated!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-07-27T06:41:18+00:00

    I made a repair, then, uninstalled and re-installed Office 2016.
    I tried different keyboards. I copied and pasted the content to a new document.

    None of them worked.

    The common thing when this happens that I observe I am pressing my right finger on right Shift key on keyboard. By the way, I listed and removed all shortcut key combinations that can open save as box in Word 2016.

    PS: No problem with printing.

    Windows 10 Home Single Language,

    21H1,

    19043.1110

    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

    PS 2: My main keyboard is Logitech G613 wireless mechanical keyboard.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-07-26T18:06:53+00:00

    Hi LeventGoktem,

    Thank you for posting your concern and welcome to Microsoft Community.

    We would like to suggest launching Office Word in safe mode and turning off add-ins, just like the suggestion of Stefan Blom.

    Thank you for raising your concern about the recent update of Windows 10. May we ask if you are also experiencing printing issues? If yes, let us know the Windows Edition, Version and OS build so we can address this concern.

    We look forward to your response and you can get back to us by replying to this post.

    Sincerely,

    Kathy A.

    Consumer M365 Forum Moderator

    Microsoft Community

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-07-26T17:50:05+00:00

    Hi Lola1980,

    Thanks for the update. Keep us updated if your same issue still persist on new device.

    Sincerely,

    Kathy A.

    Consumer M365 Forum Moderator

    Microsoft Community

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2021-07-26T08:42:30+00:00

    There is an issue with a jumping cursor which is NOT related to the vertical alignment; I have reported it to Microsoft and some (temporary) workarounds have been suggested in this forum. Double-check the thread at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-mso_win10-mso_o365b/word-screen-jumps-after-saving-in-web-layout-and/074b2ed2-aca5-49e9-9f78-2d6adf721935 to find out if this could be the same issue you are experiencing.

    The other issue, with the Save As dialog box, could be caused by an add-in. See if the issue goes away in Safe mode. To start in that mode, follow the instructions at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/open-office-apps-in-safe-mode-on-a-windows-pc-dedf944a-5f4b-4afb-a453-528af4f7ac72.

    Safe mode is for troubleshooting, only. If it works around the issue (temporarily, for a Word session running in Safe mode), continue troubleshooting COM and Startup add-ins as discussed in the article at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/troubleshoot/word/issues-when-start-or-use-word.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-07-26T07:59:26+00:00

    Hi, thanks for your reply. With smaller files I have done just that - copied them into another file. However, this needs to be done carefully as simply ctrl+a and copying that way also seems to copy whatever formatting error this is. Plus, many of my files are PhD theses and are very large with tracked changes from several people, which makes copying into another file much more tricky. Not ideal! I'm getting a new laptop today so fingers crossed that a whole new install solves the issue!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments